Premed 101 Forums

Backup Plan

SO...In the event that Western shows no love, I have two grad programs lined up for me...

A. course based masters

B. 18 months Thesis based Master of Health Services Research (MSc) at UofT

Considering that I want to eventually get into a dental school in Canada or US, which program would be a better option?...Interest is not an issue since both programs are of interest to me...

However, I'm leaning towards the MSc as it is a research based program...but the disadvantage is that it would take longer to complete....Any suggestions or ideas?

Hey human instinct, I don't know about Canadian schools, but for American schools I've seen similar threads on SDN debating course-based vs. research-based masters programs. So doing a search on that forum might help you find some answers for American schools.

Hey!

I did a research based master's in 18 months. It is highly possible. I don't think that it is a waste of two years to do a master's. Most schools love it. Pick the program that you will enjoy the most otherwise you will be miserable. Just remember you have to finish the program that you start or most schools will reject you. ;)

if dental school is what you ultimately wanna do, then why dont u try and get into dental school asap? every year you waste is years of lost income, and more time to to pay off loans......ur masters will be useless in the future

Yes, your Masters maybe useless in the future but it will not be useless when you apply to dental school. So, if dental school is was you want to do then a Masters is a great idea. I don't think two years of lost income should factor in to your decision, in the big scheme things it wont matter.

Archived