Premed 101 Forums

The Disadvantage of a Non-BSc.

sch6les

Greetings all,

I am going into first-year university, and am planning to major in Economics at either UofT or UWO (probably UWO).

To prepare for the MCAT, I ask what science courses it is necessary to take first-year. Is it really necessary to take Bio, Chem, Phys, or can one study effectively for the MCAT without taking them?

I have taken Bio, Chem, Phys all in Grade 12, but would rather not continue with them in university, as they are not something I am at all passionate about. I would rather fill my electives with philosophy, etc. And so, I would rather not take these courses in university.

Note: I do realise that certain medical schools have certain course pre-requisites, but I'm not taking this into account at the moment.

Thank you very much.

I studied for MCAT Physics using the Examkrackers book and what I remembered from high school Physics, 5 years before. I did fine, but I probably would have done better had I taken a more recent course.

I think for most of the MCAT you can be fine with a prep book and high school background. The bio stuff isn't anything complicated and I'm pretty sure most of what I covered in first year Chem I covered in high school too. The only section you will likely have trouble with is Organic chem, since (to the best of my knowledge) it's not taught in high school (I'm not talking about the naming of molecules you may have learned).

You might be fine without taking the courses, but those who have taken them will have an easier time than you will. If you're really serious about med school you should aim to ace the MCAT, and rather than paying for a hit or miss prep course, you might as well take the university courses. They will count towards prereqs and help you finish your degree, and they'll give you the right background for the MCAT.

If you don't want to take them, I suggest you aim to write the MCAT somewhat early in your university career, before you've forgotten everything. Just be aware that your scores will expire within a certain time period.

I have taken Bio, Chem, Phys all in Grade 12, but would rather not continue with them in university, as they are not something I am at all passionate about. I would rather fill my electives with philosophy, etc. And so, I would rather not take these courses in university.

You're not at all passionate about the sciences?

Are you at least really good at them?

Because, well.....

You'll figure it out. ;)

Since you are going into first year, and you have an interest in Medicine it might be best to take some of those classes. This would put you in a better position for the MCAT, as well as give you a little more of a base to work from if you end up getting into Medicine.

I went through for engineering, and did very little bio or organic chem. I prepared for this section for a month or two and ended up meeting the cutoffs at western. In hindsight, I would have taken an organic chemistry and a biology (and not the bird course bio) just to increase my confidence in the bio section.

If you truly have no interest in Biology/Biochem, Chemistry/Org Chem, Physics, are you sure you want to do medicine? I am not trying to put you down, but those are some pretty core concepts central to medicine.

If you truly have no interest in Biology/Biochem, Chemistry/Org Chem, Physics, are you sure you want to do medicine? I am not trying to put you down, but those are some pretty core concepts central to medicine.

That's what I was thinking, especially with regards to the Bio section (Physical Science section maybe not as much). While it's possible to go to med school with no prior experience in these areas (like at Mac), it's definitely not the norm.

I agree with the other posters and share their curiosity. Alot of schools have pre-reqs still and your limiting your options at which schools you can apply to, by the way which many not be in the best option because the more schools you can apply to = more schools you can be accepted from.

But if you are set on taking this path, I think there are some members (especially career changers, late bloomers, etc) who have been successful by self-studying for the MCAT using prep books like Exam Krackers, etc.

Thank you for all replies.

When I said I was not passionate about science, that does not mean I hate it. I am quite interested in the sciences.

Also, I highly doubt people become doctors because "they are interested in science." Becoming a chemist, nuclear physicist, etc. all seem to be much more appropriate professions if that is the case.

People become doctors because they want to help people (ideally). And others for the money...

Guest rpuff
People become doctors because they want to help people (ideally).

lols. U of A class of 2011 also agrees with this thought. It's at the end of video one.

You can make up the material on your own - it is often done, but of course be prepared to put significant work into doing so. The MCAT assumes you know the material for organic chem, the two usual general chemistry courses required before you can take organic, pretty much a full year of physics, and biology. That's about 8 standard courses, and you need to know the material very well.

It is probably a good idea, if you think you will do reasonably well in them, to take some of these simply because you will have to spend an equal amount of time learning the material anyway and some schools do require them as prereqs. You are an economics major to be (its one of my majors), so I am just following the principle of opportunity cost here :)

Don't get too caught up in the cross fire debate about why medicine, but you should be sensitive to some of the ideas presented - at the very least it will help prepare you for some of those med school interview questions to come :)

Greetings all,

I am going into first-year university, and am planning to major in Economics at either UofT or UWO (probably UWO).

To prepare for the MCAT, I ask what science courses it is necessary to take first-year. Is it really necessary to take Bio, Chem, Phys, or can one study effectively for the MCAT without taking them?

Note: I do realise that certain medical schools have certain course pre-requisites, but I'm not taking this into account at the moment.

Thank you very much.

Also, I highly doubt people become doctors because "they are interested in science." ... People become doctors because they want to help people (ideally).

You're creating a false dichotomy.

Also, there are many careers that help people. Some more widely than medicine, even.

You're creating a false dichotomy.

Also, there are many careers that help people. Some more widely than medicine, even.

There's truth to this point. Medicine isn't the only "helping" career.

You could probably help even more people through creating awesome economic policies :)

With medicine you generally help only one person at a time. A great new discovery/revalation (arts or science) could help an entire generation better their lives in one fell swoop. I enjoy applying science and interacting with/teaching people a lot more than I do sitting around scratching my head deep in thought though. So I'm going med, despite the fact I might actually be able to better use my 'genius' to the benefit of society by doing something that doesn't interest meas much. Do you percieve yourself as going in the opposite direction? Doing something you like a little less because you think it would help 'save the world' a little more?

There are many med schools in canada that require you to have 2 general bios, 2 general chems, 2 org chems and 2 physics. So if you will have to take these eventually anyway to get into med school, why not take them before you take the MCAT so that you will at least get a better score?

Just my thoughts.

to sch6les

I'm at U of T, and I have found it really difficult to get high grades.over 85....so much studying...a grade is a grade and it does not matter which university it comes from..finally realized that.

Also, my main major is psych which is considered a science at U of T, but I have taken bio/chem./organic etc..as electives...

I took organic and biochem at summer school and did well, but some of the Canadian universities do not allow summer credits to be included in your cgpa.

I made a huge mistake of not taking physics which will be negative for me when I do the MCATS this summer.

I have to take a couple extra couses as a special student next year...physics, english and genetics for American Universities. If you are thinking of American schools,look up the prerequisities early on...wish I would have done that.

Also, if you are graduated from the IB program...do not use your advanced credits...I was given credit for English through IB and the American universities will not accept it...now U of T tells me they are advising students not to use the IB credits if they are thinking of meds etc. in the US..

I wish, I would have known about this site early on...I have learned so much from it.....you are in a fine fine position..

What do you guys think about 1st year Biology, 1st year Chemistry and 1st year Physics? Is that enough so I can learn the rest off prep courses?

Yeah I would agree it is enough - you have accepted by this that there are some schools who won't consider you (those prereqs again - biochem and organic chem), but if you can live with that you are good.

Archived