Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey law you applying to the US this year? Thought you were not applying this cycle.

Yep! Definitely applying this year, I'm partway through the US cycle right now. I didn't apply last year since I just started my M.Sc., but since I am planning on finishing by around April of next year... I'm definitely giving it a shot. I'll apply in Canada too and see what happens!

Yep! Definitely applying this year, I'm partway through the US cycle right now. I didn't apply last year since I just started my M.Sc., but since I am planning on finishing by around April of next year... I'm definitely giving it a shot. I'll apply in Canada too and see what happens!

hey sounds fair! So you didn't apply this cycle then? These cycles are beginning to blur :)

hey sounds fair! So you didn't apply this cycle then? These cycles are beginning to blur :)

haha, nope did not apply this past cycle because I wouldn't be able to start in September because of my research project. I'm pretty hopeful about this year, but you never know...

All stuff goes to Needles Hall at Waterloo I believe. The signature forms should have the address where you're supposed to mail it at the very top.

Yeah at Waterloo that's where it goes.

As a side note I love the name of that building because they were always felt like I was being jabbed with sharpe needles every time I had to deal with the admins there :)

Good luck to everyone with OSAP. Had to deal with them for my third and fourth years at Guelph, when I wasn't getting enough from scholarships to pay for everything, and they were a real pain to deal with. My sister, who has been wanting to go to college for many years now, has always been denied OSAP until miraculously this year they gave her enough for tuition plus a bit! And nothing with her situation has changed, except she's gotten older. :P So OSAP seems to be one of these mysterious, difficult things to deal with.

We are now in Edmonton, yet we will be staying in a hotel until all our household goods get here. You see, we seem to have discovered the most clueless customs agent ever. All of our F&E (furniture, household goods and effects) that were shipped from Munich are currently stuck in Montreal, due to a customs agent that is either the stupidest person ever, a francophone who has no grasp of the English language and who for some reason has been assigned to us (anglophones, so all our paperwork is in English), or someone who has just decided to be a royal pain in the neck.

Questions the customs agent asked us about our sea container full of stuff being shipped from Germany: Please give us more details about the cat trees. Umm, they are pieces of furniture for pet cats to climb on and to scratch? I mean, who hasn't heard of cat trees? The other question was about my riding helmet. Umm, it's a helmet you wear while horseback riding. You know, to protect your head from going squash in case you fall off? (And which was purchased in Canada, and that we brought with us to Munich, and our now bringing back with us). Other questions were about my riding boots, riding chaps (okay, this one I can maybe accept, since riding chaps are not the most common thing, but really), our cats miscellaneous toys (you wanted us to list every single tiny ball the cats play with, I mean, really?) and many other stupid questions. We never encountered this much trouble when we moved from Canada to Germany. We also made sure (and declared) that all the stuff that needed to be cleaned (bikes, running shoes, riding boots, etc. that might have dirt/mud on them) was cleaned before being packed. We aren't bringing back any food, cat food, plant items, or other troublesome items, other than the 54 bottles of wine that we claimed and paid the tax and import fee on. So what's the problem?

Honestly, I do wonder if they just targeted us because my husband is an army officer. While it's been great at getting us and the cats through customs (having green passports - while not diplomatic - is still an advantage) this current customs agent dealing with our shipped goods is just being a total jerk.

So who knows how long we'll be in this hotel, until our household goods finally arrive. At least the Canadian Forces is paying for our hotel until all our stuff gets here, but still, it would be nice to get settled sooner rather than later. Our cats will be happier too. They seem happy that we've finally stopped driving though. ;) Although, to be fair, they were very good for the entire trip from Ottawa to Edmonton, only meowing for about 30 minutes each day after being put back in the car.

You see, we seem to have discovered the most clueless customs agent ever.

I import lots of stuff for my business. Recent items:

1. glass runs, which are rubber pieces for car windows to slide up. They OPENED the box, saw rubber pieces, and still classified it as "misc items made of glass"

2. My mtn bike frame (like, not a whole bike, just the metal frame) was classified as "picture frames, wooden"

Oh, and the other day I had to deal with one in person. You're not always required to fill out a B3 form, and I didn't know I was supposed to since the order from the US was less than $2500 (which is the only other time I have had to do so)... so that basically meant that I was treated as an idiot when I walked in the door. When he found out I was importing car parts though, he was my best friend. I think he thought that since I was a girl I was going to be importing handbags or makeup or something. But car parts are fun, therefore I was suddenly one of the cool kids.

Fun times with customs.

I'm dead tired. So jetlagged, I am barely standing on my 2 feet. On the other hand, might be able to go to Japan next year if I save money, since I am also going to San Diego and Mexico. This is going to be one tough year money wise. ****ty. :(

so I'm the luckiest bum in the world - my MCAT score meets nearly all Canadian school requirements =D

hope everyone else is getting some good news too!

Congrats!

I'm dead tired. So jetlagged, I am barely standing on my 2 feet. On the other hand, might be able to go to Japan next year if I save money, since I am also going to San Diego and Mexico. This is going to be one tough year money wise. ****ty. :(

I want to go to Tokyo this winter for the Red Bull BC One tournament :D

(I used to be a b-boy...until my shoulder injury, sigh...)

And don't worry about money, the less you have the more OSAP you'll get, LOL :D

I want to go to Tokyo this winter for the Red Bull BC One tournament :D

(I used to be a b-boy...until my shoulder injury, sigh...)

And don't worry about money, the less you have the more OSAP you'll get, LOL :D

LOL. Yeah, that's right. I already got over $7,000 for OSAP, but I got to pay rent plus cell phone bill plus food. And then all of these trips. It's going to be a tight one. You should go to Tokyo. My friend was there and it seems like an amazing place! I really hope I have enough money to cover that trip. Le sigh. :o

Oh god. My dog died tonight. Collapsed outside in the dark. Could have been there for over twenty minutes when me and my dad found him. He was still alive, barely so, when I wrapped him in a blanket and carried him back to the house (needed to move him, it was dark and the only light I had on me was my cell phone). Heavy guy. Dad's got a bum knee. When I got him back into the light and unwrapped him, he was dead. I couldn't have been moving him for more than thirty seconds. The change was amazing. No colour left in muzzle or gums. Tongue went dark purple. I went through a couple cycles of CPR before my mom got me to stop. She said she didn't want him coming back with brain damage and that he been really lethargic and unhappy the last week. DIdn't expect the CPR to work but had to try it.

I got up, didn't look at him, and just walked away. Went to get a pair of latex gloves. Don't know why. I think I wanted to look in his throat to see if he choked (my dad gave him a T-Bone early). Then it sunk in. Went back to see him, see if I could pat him one more time and just hug him again. Had him for fifteen years. Parents had moved him when I got back. Feel like crap now. Afraid to go to work. Even, worse I had a couple of assignments to finish for a 12am due date. Tried to force myself to put the finishing touches but couldn't focus. Don't know what to tell the profs, especially cause I had an altercation with one earlier this year.

sorry to ramble but i needed to get it out. don't want anyone to see me right now or to talk to anyone i know

Oh god. My dog died tonight. Collapsed outside in the dark. Could have been there for over twenty minutes when me and my dad found him. He was still alive, barely so, when I wrapped him in a blanket and carried him back to the house (needed to move him, it was dark and the only light I had on me was my cell phone). Heavy guy. Dad's got a bum knee. When I got him back into the light and unwrapped him, he was dead. I couldn't have been moving him for more than thirty seconds. The change was amazing. No colour left in muzzle or gums. Tongue went dark purple. I went through a couple cycles of CPR before my mom got me to stop. She said she didn't want him coming back with brain damage and that he been really lethargic and unhappy the last week. DIdn't expect the CPR to work but had to try it.

I got up, didn't look at him, and just walked away. Went to get a pair of latex gloves. Don't know why. I think I wanted to look in his throat to see if he choked (my dad gave him a T-Bone early). Then it sunk in. Went back to see him, see if I could pat him one more time and just hug him again. Had him for fifteen years. Parents had moved him when I got back. Feel like crap now. Afraid to go to work. Even, worse I had a couple of assignments to finish for a 12am due date. Tried to force myself to put the finishing touches but couldn't focus. Don't know what to tell the profs, especially cause I had an altercation with one earlier this year.

sorry to ramble but i needed to get it out. don't want anyone to see me right now or to talk to anyone i know

Awwww, sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear. :( I had to put down my cat Mo (after having him for 18 years) last summer, and it was an absolutely heartwrenching experience.

I would just try and tell your profs exactly what happened. Hopefully they will be capable of some sympathy.

Archived