Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Oooh. uniform! :D

:D My husband is one of those men who looks amazing is his mess kit. :) Some of the guys, however, don't carry it as well. But I just *love* his mess kit, although don't get me started on how many people ask me if he's RCMP. *sigh* Yes, we wears red, but given that the Canadian army traditions date back to the British army's "red coats" it should be no surprise that many of the army branches have red tunics for their formal uniform.

86727644.th.jpg

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prob not. I am nothing like a zebra. We just think that zebra stripes go really fittingly on a right-hnd-drive expedition rig.

It will be pretty good advertising for our business too. We're kind of the land cruiser experts of Vancouver Island.

I have this fantasy of making my first impression at med school by driving up in my zebra-rig, getting rock-star parking in front of the building, and my horn playing "La Cucaracha". :P

Working at a repair shop has really opened my eyes. From now on I will base vehicle purchases on the amount of profanity I have heard from the guys while they are working on vehicles. There is definitely a brand hierarchy with cursing.

I will likely never buy a dodge. They are the worst for foul-mouth-ness.

Hehe. Very cool the knowledge your experience at a repair shop has given you.

I have to say, I am currently VERY impressed with Honda. We put our little Honda Civic 99 hatchback into storage 4 years ago when we went to Germany (and bought a used German car to drive during our time there), and the ONLY thing that needed to be fixed when we pulled it out of storage was a light bulb (and the battery needed a boost). Colour me impressed! Even the a/c - which we we warned probably wouldn't work - works beautifully! And the car has a very thorough safety inspection - absolutely everything was checked. So I'm loving my Honda. :D

In Germany, we were very impressed with the service we got from Mercedes - we bought a used 4-door SMART car from the Mercedes/Smart dealership, and had fabulous service the entire time. I really wanted to bring that little car back with us, but since there are no 4-door Smarts in North America, it would be been extremely difficult to get even the simplest parts for it.

My data looks SWEEEEEEEEET :D ... despite the EMG system being broken... OMG.... :D

Oh yes and for the first time EVER, I managed to put my 2 projects together into one and it turned out AWESOME.... Oh God... I'm such a nerd

Edit: LMAO... wonder where my mind is off to when I wrote "date" instead of "data"

Oh, and if you're looking for a bed, I'd go with the Bay. They have the best return policy. Delivery is $50 within the city.

My last bed delivery story. Went in and chose a mattress at the Bay, came to...hmmm...800 bucks? Original 1800, so figured I got a good deal. However, when it came to delivery the bed came with a stain on it. They are very sticky about the policy that if anything goes wrong, they aren't going to do anything if the bed is stained in any way...so I sent it back. Next one comes, with even MORE stains. I send it back and call in to complain. The THIRD mattress comes and it is actually deformed (one of the bed corners is crushed). I've had it with calling in. I go back to the Bay personally and speak to the manager, explain how I haven't had a mattress in 2 weeks and that I have had to send back multiple mattresses because of damage. The manager agreed that my situation was unacceptable, told me to try out some other mattresses on the floor, and he would sell that one to me for the price I paid originally.

I ended up with a $2500 mattress for $800, and it arrived in perfect condition the first time.

Thumbs up to the Bay for great customer service.

Cool, thanks! I'll definitely check them out. I'll probably buy one near the end of August and then ask them to deliver for September 1

Cool, thanks! I'll definitely check them out. I'll probably buy one near the end of August and then ask them to deliver for September 1

go and shop for it sooner. It will take some time for it to come in or come from the warehouse. Don't worry if the price changes, they should make the price adjustments.

:D My husband is one of those men who looks amazing is his mess kit. :) Some of the guys, however, don't carry it as well. But I just *love* his mess kit, although don't get me started on how many people ask me if he's RCMP. *sigh* Yes, we wears red, but given that the Canadian army traditions date back to the British army's "red coats" it should be no surprise that many of the army branches have red tunics for their formal uniform.

86727644.th.jpg

lol, most mounties look silly in their red tunics, but mmmmm, still in a nice way :)

I'll try to 'rescue' you soon Caylynn!!:)

I hate my condo gym. Because the place is old and because i don't think any of the other residents (retirees?) have any interest in it, they haven't upgraded the machines since 1969. I can't identify some of the things in there. I mean, a treadmill that doesn't do incline??? hmmmm....can't wait till I am in school and in the school gym. My jigglypuffy body is gonna suffer, though:(

Lost, you can use my Gold's Gym card while I'm away in August. If you have a friend who can come by my place on the 7th to pick it up, let me know. Otherwise, we can cross our paths around the 13th. I'm getting charged for the membership, but obviously can't use it for a few weeks, at least this way, you can benefit. PM me on Facebook if you'd like my card.

go and shop for it sooner. It will take some time for it to come in or come from the warehouse. Don't worry if the price changes, they should make the price adjustments.

Thanks for all the helpful advice :)

I'll probably end up going to Ottawa one last time before I start school next week (on a Tuesday or Wednesday or something)

Got my OSAP approved! Kinda weird though I thought more of the money would be in bursaries than loan. How much loan is allowed per year before it becomes a bursary?

Btw. I can't believe this thread dropped into the second page! Had to bump this to the top. :eek:

EDIT: I found the answer to my question in the OSAP help thread. I guess its true. If you can use the search tool you can get into med. :rolleyes:

Hey guys,

I was wondering if y'all had any info on volunteering at shelters/soup kitchens in downtown T.O. ? i.e. which is a good/safe place (for a girl!), how feasible it is to get those positions, if any of you have done this in the past etc etc.

For sometime now, I've known I'd like to do something for the homeless, and just giving them money isn't it. Esp when I see them buy smokes with it. :(

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Hey guys,

I was wondering if y'all had any info on volunteering at shelters/soup kitchens in downtown T.O. ? i.e. which is a good/safe place (for a gilr!), how feasible it is to get those positions, if any of you have done this in the past etc etc.

For sometime now, I've known I'd like to do something for the homeless, and just giving them money isn't it. Esp when I see them buy smokes with it. :(

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Building that app for CaRMS I see. :P

I say suck it up and just work in the one where you are the most useful. Don't be a princess! Good/safe place = hiding under your bed. :P

Building that app for CaRMS I see. :P

I say suck it up and just work in the one where you are the most useful. Don't be a princess! Good/safe place = hiding under your bed. :P

Hahah! You're a funny guy eh deeman? ;)

Too bad you're not going to be in T.O., or else you could keep me company, in the form of a body guard! :P

Honestly though, now that I have a place to stay in downtown, I feel like I see soooo many homeless people it really breaks my heart. And I can't just keep givin' them the moolah when they ask for it. I'd rather serve them hot soup. lol.

Can I find soup kitchens in the yellow pages?

At my own expense, I drove 3hrs last evening and spent a night in a hotel because my exam site set up by Athabasca is FIVE AND A HALF HOURS AWAY--if I wanted it any closer, I'd have to wait TWO MONTHS to have it set up. So, instead of driving 5.5hrs, sitting for a 3hr exam, and then driving back 5.5hrs...I stayed overnight in Deer Lake.

Fine. I can deal with that. What I can't deal with is picking up my bag to check-out and drive the remaining 2hrs or so to receive a phone call saying the exam was RETURNED. The school sent the exam in the old invigilator's name, regardless of the fact that that person doesn't invigilate anymore, regardless of the fact that I stated on the form that the exam had to be sent to such-and-such a person, and regardless of the fact that that is what Athabasca told me to do! They sent it to the wrong person who mailed it back not knowing it was for her colleague. I spend 2hrs in the hotel room (extra) without breakfast and finally around noon I convinced the school to fax the exam to my invigilator so I could write the exam considering my inconvenience and expense.

OMFG

At my own expense, I drove 3hrs last evening and spent a night in a hotel because my exam site set up by Athabasca is FIVE AND A HALF HOURS AWAY--if I wanted it any closer, I'd have to wait TWO MONTHS to have it set up. So, instead of driving 5.5hrs, sitting for a 3hr exam, and then driving back 5.5hrs...I stayed overnight in Deer Lake.

Fine. I can deal with that. What I can't deal with is picking up my bag to check-out and drive the remaining 2hrs or so to receive a phone call saying the exam was RETURNED. The school sent the exam in the old invigilator's name, regardless of the fact that that person doesn't invigilate anymore, regardless of the fact that I stated on the form that the exam had to be sent to such-and-such a person, and regardless of the fact that that is what Athabasca told me to do! They sent it to the wrong person who mailed it back not knowing it was for her colleague. I spend 2hrs in the hotel room (extra) without breakfast and finally around noon I convinced the school to fax the exam to my invigilator so I could write the exam considering my inconvenience and expense.

OMFG

Ugghh! What a production. :( I'm glad you were finally able to get them to fax the exam. I can't believe all the hassle you had to go through. :(

I had nothing but good experiences with Athabasca, but then, I was in Ottawa where I could write the exams at Algonquin College's exam centre, so it was incredibly easy.

Well, our first load of "stuff" for moving into our apartment has arrived. Basically, everything that we put into long-term storage when we moved to Germany four years ago was dropped off at our place today - so our two TVs (that look ancient now *grin*), kitchen appliances (microwave, toaster, kettle, indoor grill, blender, etc.), tons of books that we didn't want to bring all the way to Germany but wanted to keep, my husband's extensive comic book collection (we left the $$ books with my parents instead of putting them into storage), and all the school stuff/textbooks/notes that I wanted to keep.

We have no idea when the rest of our stuff will get here - the stuff that was shipped from Germany - which includes all our bedroom furniture (including bed!), living room furniture, linens, clothing, etc., etc. So we're still stuck in a hotel until all that stuff gets here. But at least it's a nice hotel, and we currently have a suite, so we aren't stuck in a tiny room, but it's only a suite in the sense that we have a sitting room in addition to a bedroom and bathroom - we have no cooking facilities or dishes. Ah well, hopefully we'll be out of here soon.

I just got home from work. I had the pleasure of serving dinner to 130 IFMSA members! Some were really kind, others, I got the impression they totally looked down on me for being a waitress and doing "menial work". Kind of bummed me out to think that such douche bags would eventually be providing care to people who do such "menial work".

I just got home from work. I had the pleasure of serving dinner to 130 IFMSA members! Some were really kind, others, I got the impression they totally looked down on me for being a waitress and doing "menial work". Kind of bummed me out to think that such douche bags would eventually be providing care to people who do such "menial work".

*hugs* I could never be a waitress. I'd get violent.

I always wanted to be a waiter, and was planning on quitting my job when I got in this year to work at a restaurant. But, I couldn't leave my job :(

Archived