Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Except I will not need it because most docs don't know the intricate pathways of how this crap works. I know its something about VLDLs, LDLs, apparently HDLs are good....stuff like that. Prescribe something that increases HDLs and decreases the rest. :P

Btw none of you should ever want me as a doctor...

I don't want you as my doctor. If I were in your place, I'd want to learn all of that stuff plus more. I would study non-stop. But that's just me. And I'm a nerd.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe me, with the amount of material they give us, we already basically have to study non stop. So if I can avoid cramming some clinically useless stuff, than i choose that option.

That's what I love about medicine, only the clinically related stuff is really important :)

Believe me, with the amount of material they give us, we already basically have to study non stop. So if I can avoid cramming some clinically useless stuff, than i choose that option.

That's what I love about medicine, only the clinically related stuff is really important :)

Yea, makes small groups funny. Once in a while our small group leader will be like "this next part you will actually USE in the clinic!"

A UofT med student came to give a lecture on stuff and one of the people in the audience raises their hand and goes:

"What was your GPA when you applied?"

:rolleyes:

He already spent 10mins explaining GPA and how you don't need an absolute 4.0 etc.....

sigh

(He didn't give an exact answer LOL)

I find med school sucks because it's too clinically relevant to specialties I don't care about, I need to know exactly how things work on a very deep basis so I can make sense of things instead of memorizing seemingly unrelated facts and characteristics of diseases and drugs without any understanding of why or how they arise.

I don't want you as my doctor. If I were in your place, I'd want to learn all of that stuff plus more. I would study non-stop. But that's just me. And I'm a nerd.

So far, i find that you don't need to know all the bio stuff in great detail to understand the clinical features of a disease.

Theory is BORING!!! practice is what's really interestig

A doctor's job is to find a disease and treat it. point.

Ascientist's job is to know all the details about science

Well, I'm the same way. But I'm curious about everything so... yeah lol

I find med school sucks because it's too clinically relevant to specialties I don't care about, I need to know exactly how things work on a very deep basis so I can make sense of things instead of memorizing seemingly unrelated facts and characteristics of diseases and drugs without any understanding of why or how they arise.

To be honest I think the concept of doctor as an all encompassing term for all physcians is outdated, and the depth of deep knowledge needed is very specialty dependent. Personally, I find clinically relevant stuff for most specialties to be really boring, I sort of like problems where you have to create your own answers from your knowledge of basic physiology and pharmacology than specialties that have really established protocols and algorithims in place, so I guess the more nebulous less understood specialties. I suppose I'm more of the creative thinker type than the hands on type of person.

So far, i find that you don't need to know all the bio stuff in great detail to understand the clinical features of a disease.

Unfortunately, you do need to know sometimes quite a bit of bio stuff in order to properly identify, differentiate, diagnose and treat a disease. In particular learning about how certain drugs work and how they can affect patients with complex medical problems, often requires physiological knowledge.

My neighbour has been playing Whip My Hair on repeat for the last hour. Boo at them.

Song is pretty good (considering her age!!), but on repeat for an hour? Omg... It'd be like Aqua's "Barbie Girl" all over again (try on repeat... for 2-3.5 hours... at skating... for a month when it came out :S). Almost any song on repeat for an hour would get annoying

Enjoying my first ever interview invite!

Congrats! :D

there are so many many many things I am refraining from saying right now

*snicker*

So I took a skating test today (diamond dance- Rhumba) for the second time (last time I failed miserably) and I PASSED:D So stoked! Now I need to decide which one I want to take next!

You know you're short when.... petite/short length pants STILL need to be hemmed:rolleyes:

Found an awesome winter jacket at Esprit in West Ed today- on sale for 50% off :D I love finding deals like that!

Unfortunately, you do need to know sometimes quite a bit of bio stuff in order to properly identify, differentiate, diagnose and treat a disease. In particular learning about how certain drugs work and how they can affect patients with complex medical problems, often requires physiological knowledge.

I said you don't need to know it in great Detail. Of course you have to know physiopatholgy but just not on the same detailed level as a biochimist would know for example.

I said you don't need to know it in great Detail. Of course you have to know physiopatholgy but just not on the same detailed level as a biochimist would know for example.

No. Because there are people who know details about things that would require you dedicating your entire life towards. That's why there are specialities in medicine. You can't do it all ;)

Archived