Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Tonight its half a box of penne with 10oz of garlic sauted shrimp

1L of ice cream loaded in caramel sauce

Sour jujubes :D

Thats it.

I get one a week but in about 14 weeks i'll drop them to once every two weeks.

I actually hate them but they are necessary.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I'd go nuts. For all the training I did, I've pretty much always had what I wanted for food. Of course I know what brings me energy to train and keep my muscle mass, but it's obviously different from bodybuilding. My body responds really well to carbohydrates lucky for me.

Wow I'd go nuts. For all the training I did, I've pretty much always had what I wanted for food. Of course I know what brings me energy to train and keep my muscle mass, but it's obviously different from bodybuilding. My body responds really well to carbohydrates lucky for me.

When I was training hard for adventure races/ultras I used to think that I could eat whatever I wanted too. I mean, if an evening workout was a 4-hr run and the morning was a 1-hr ride up a mountain, of course I could eat whatever, right? But then, when I started training for ironman, I took a different approach. I bumped up protein (2g/kg body weight per day or more = 100g+ for me) and cut down my fat consumption to <60g per day. BOOM- I cut body fat. Big time. I wasn't exactly fat before, but this was amazing.

When I was training hard for adventure races/ultras I used to think that I could eat whatever I wanted too. I mean, if an evening workout was a 4-hr run and the morning was a 1-hr ride up a mountain, of course I could eat whatever, right? But then, when I started training for ironman, I took a different approach. I bumped up protein (2g/kg body weight per day or more = 100g+ for me) and cut down my fat consumption to <60g per day. BOOM- I cut body fat. Big time. I wasn't exactly fat before, but this was amazing.

iron man is a superhero. iron woman is an order. :P

Well... considering most (if not all of us are still here), we apparently didn't get "taken up" for rapture. Which means the world is ending by October for the rest of us. So, since it doesn't matter anyway, time to be as bad as possible- it really doesn't matter anyways;) :cool:

hehehehe!

Hope everyone is having a safe and happy May long! (And better spent than studying, like me.....)

Wait.... If the world ends in October... is there any point to studying?........

EDIT: Or is this what they meant by rapture? He did say that "200million people would be raptured":

(Omg...that's probably so blasphemous... if I wasn't already, I'm probably going there now :o)

Just came back from work. I was in 5 minutes early' date=' and this bittch told me I was late ( in a rude way infront of everyone) "Your late! Now I can't start my break.... " I was so embarassed, and shocked as those were the first words that came out of her mouth ( I have never seen this woman in my life). I showed her my watch (saying I was 2 minutes early at the time). She goes of at me saying I should start working (in other words - be at my cash register 5 minutes before my shift actualy starts so she can leave 5 minutes earlier). I flat out told her - I am not being paid for that 5 minutes so you are lucky I am here 2 minutes early![b'] She is a supervisor but has no real power, but acts like she does[/b]..

God, summer jobs suck.. My research position is what I live for at the moment oh and med too! But them bills wont pay themselves:mad:

She has the power to have you fired for being late and/or insubordination! So tread carefully or cover your tracks with other employees, or write to human resources a polite letter of facts. You have no idea of her history with other summer employees. Do not assume that she has no power. Good luck under difficult circumstances,

I didn't really mean anything I guess.. I eat a lot of proteins in a day as well, and very little fat but it's just my normal diet I guess. My body fat is probably a little higher right now because I haven't been in full time training for over a year, but out of training camp I was down to around 12% which for a swimmer is pretty much as low as you want to go.

Ultras are crazy, there's no way I'll ever be able to be near that level. Amazing :)

Funny... My dad went to a garage sale this morning near our home. He started talking with a guy about cruise ships and travels, and eventually it turned out this guy is the medical imaging department chief at the hospital in Gatineau. I think my dad ended up chatting with him for an hour in the end.

Lance Armstrong is getting called out on 60minutes tonight. I WANT what he says to be true,he did so much for the sport and all, but there's just no way. How arrogant can you be to claim that you never did doping, yet dominated the sport for 7 yrs when everyone else was doping, and everyone else admits it?

A background- a good friend of mine, her partner was a cyclist on Lance's team pre-cancer. He got busted. He had no reason to tell me this, but he did tell me that Lance was doping. I know this is all "friend-of-a-friend", but this was about 10 yrs ago he told me and the more I think about it, the more it's just so implausible that Lance could be innocent. Cheating makes me angry, in every realm, but especially when someone puts themselves on a seeemingly higher level, when they clearly are not...

I don't think it's possible to complete the Tour de France or other similar races without doping.. I mean just one step is already completely crazy, yet they manage to do it day after day after day for weeks? I don't know, I want to believe it's possible, but it's not like the day after and Ironman you'd be doing another one no? I hate cheating in sports (among others), it's turned everything to where a good performance is suspect by default.

Coming from an athletic background and seeing plenty of drug use in sport as well as in bodybuilding and in the athletes i've helped train i can tell you flat out drugs play a marginal role.

Drugged up athletes arent going to come close to matching that of a non-drugged athlete. Work ethic aside, genetics still rule the roost.

Its no different in academia. If you dont have the brain power, no amount of studying is going to make you a better student than the person who is just naturally smart. Michelle has demonstrated this example quote well.

Coming from an athletic background and seeing plenty of drug use in sport as well as in bodybuilding and in the athletes i've helped train i can tell you flat out drugs play a marginal role.

Drugged up athletes arent going to come close to matching that of a non-drugged athlete. Work ethic aside, genetics still rule the roost.

Its no different in academia. If you dont have the brain power, no amount of studying is going to make you a better student than the person who is just naturally smart. Michelle has demonstrated this example quote well.

Interesting analogy. I'll say that having lived through the Chinese women systematic doping from the 90s, it was very important in our sport. The sad consequence is that even though the number that do cheat is probably small, everyone is suspected of it. Wrong atmosphere :/

Interesting analogy. I'll say that having lived through the Chinese women systematic doping from the 90s, it was very important in our sport. The sad consequence is that even though the number that do cheat is probably small, everyone is suspected of it. Wrong atmosphere :/

Ahh the number is definitely NOT small lol. I can assure you of this.

One of the research areas i would love to be able to conduct is PEDs in avgerage athletes vs genetic freaks but we all know no one will ever fund such research.

Ahh the number is definitely NOT small lol. I can assure you of this.

One of the research areas i would love to be able to conduct is PEDs in avgerage athletes vs genetic freaks but we all know no one will ever fund such research.

lol yeah I don't think so!

I should have specified small proportion maybe? I guess it varies very wildly by sport as well, and every sport will have preferred doping methods too. EPO wouldn't be very useful for a swimmer, and you don't really hear about endurance athletes using steroids either, at least I've never really heard of it. Sad that people feel the need to cheat. Of course there's also the "I didn't know there was anything banned in this supplement" excuses..

Well I've beaten Ocarina countless times, that's why I figured it'd be ok to skip. Also I've played Windwaker and hated it, that was possibly the worst game in the franchise. Except maybe that side scroller for SNES, I didn't like that one either.

I thought windwaker was cute :(

But yeah, twilight is extensive. I liked it - beat it twice, then got persona 4 and I never went back to Zelda...

I don't think it's possible to complete the Tour de France or other similar races without doping.. I mean just one step is already completely crazy, yet they manage to do it day after day after day for weeks? I don't know, I want to believe it's possible, but it's not like the day after and Ironman you'd be doing another one no?

It's totally doable. I'm (obviously) exclusively an endurance athlete and have been for my whole life. I rode 120km/day on my fully-loaded touring bike in Europe, for a month, twice. Not loaded, sure, 160km is doable. An ironman is way longer than the tour on any given day. Also, if you made me run a marathon 7 days in a row, I could definitely do it if I was at primo training.

Aaronjw- I think that steroids are used in bodybuilding by people who want to slack, often. At least that was what I saw working at the gym. EPO, blood transfusions, I think they would be SO useful. Steriods, btw, I have no idea how they could really be useful in cycling. I was pretty confused when floyd landis was busted for steroids. Why? I want as little extra weight as possible to push up the mountain. Power to weight ratio is key when you are hill climbing.

All this endurance stuff is psychology. If you know that you're going to be out running for 8 hours, and you accept that fact from the beginning, you'll be fine. I'd love to get into the psychology of ultrarunners at some point because the stuff that goes on in our heads is just so messed up in some ways. :D

Aaronjw- I think that steroids are used in bodybuilding by people who want to slack, often. At least that was what I saw working at the gym. EPO, blood transfusions, I think they would be SO useful. Steriods, btw, I have no idea how they could really be useful in cycling. I was pretty confused when floyd landis was busted for steroids. Why? I want as little extra weight as possible to push up the mountain. Power to weight ratio is key when you are hill climbing.

Some education on the subject is in order it seems because thats a pretty ignorant statement to make and it applies to athletes of all levels, not just bodybuilders.

Also, just because an athlete uses PEDs doesnt mean they are looking to get bigger/heavier. there's a recovery factor involved which aids athletic peeformance. Diet determines weight, not the drugs.

Archived