Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

I also find a lot of people look for what they want out of their life in solely their job, and many becoming very disappointed as the grow older and realize that all the jarring they've been doing to purposelessly match into radiology since the age of 18 has been for rather capricious reasons that bring a sense of social happiness in the immediacy by the virtue of social reinforcements but may not be a long and ever lasting happiness.

We do need cogs in the wheel, no? and some people melancholically trudge through their life out of undergrad as accountants believing they've made their family proud, that their material possessions are an extension of their self worth, and that their good credit score is evidence of their "success" in life.

In the end, if you've been liberated enough to think in a non traditional way, and don't have financial or family burdens you realize that the self is a progression through time, and there is nothing stopping you from waking up and igniting change at any moment, aside from your (or societally) imposed limitations.

i don't know how you can't look at medical school applications as a game, they're so capricious, heterogeneous, and often feel like a sieve, you just never know who's going to fall through and whether they're qualified (whatever qualified means in a quantitative way anyways).

anyhoo, enough social diatribe, time to go hot tubbing :)

For someone like myself I have to consider it a game because at 35 I don't really have another shot nor does someone going back to school at 29, 30.

The difference for people my age and a bit younger is that we have life experience on our side to have helped us determine what we feel is our destiny for our futures. Kids out of high school, what do they have? Very few have any experience to help them make up their mind about what they'd really like out of life other than a well paying job. So they have these grand dreams of going into medicine. engineering, law or even accounting. Typically not because there was any great and relevant experience on their part but rather because there's some societal factor helping guide their thought process.

Even volunteering is a bit of a joke. My friend sits on adcom's for Western and he rolls his eyes at most of the applicants volunteering experience because he knows a good portion of them didn't do it because it was something that connected with and that it mattered to them. They did it because it might look good on a med school application.

Now, are there younger people who make the correct call right off the bat? Absolutely but I wager most don't and that boils down to the fact they haven't experienced air outside of anything other than what the game dictates they do in order to give them a shot at getting in.

Bit of a screwed up system if you ask me :)

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i didn't get into engineering because i failed calculus in hs, sometimes i wonder what drastic change would have happened in my life had i passed that damn class, lol :)

Yep, if my life had gone "as planned" I would have never met my wonderful husband and my life would be so much the poorer for it. We are truly soul mates and complement each other in every way possible - each of us brings out the best in the other.

But if my original career had panned out and I had gone through school as I originally intended, it is unlikely I would have ever met him. So life does have a weird way of throwing things at you that end up changing your direction, but end up for the best in the end. It sounds so corny, but, for me at least, it has turned out to be true.

Yep, if my life had gone "as planned" I would have never met my wonderful husband and my life would be so much the poorer for it. We are truly soul mates and complement each other in every way possible - each of us brings out the best in the other.

But if my original career had panned out and I had gone through school as I originally intended, it is unlikely I would have ever met him. So life does have a weird way of throwing things at you that end up changing your direction, but end up for the best in the end. It sounds so corny, but, for me at least, it has turned out to be true.

I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and we should go with the flow in matters beyond our control. Often things that disappoint us lead to other doors being opened that we would never see otherwise.

If mine had gone "as planned", I would probably still be with my ex, and most likely training full time with no real thought about my post-career. I would never have realized medicine was the right field for me! I imagine not many people decide at 30 to get into med school unless they were directed to that path by some twist.

For someone like myself I have to consider it a game because at 35 I don't really have another shot nor does someone going back to school at 29, 30.

The difference for people my age and a bit younger is that we have life experience on our side to have helped us determine what we feel is our destiny for our futures. Kids out of high school, what do they have? Very few have any experience to help them make up their mind about what they'd really like out of life other than a well paying job. So they have these grand dreams of going into medicine. engineering, law or even accounting. Typically not because there was any great and relevant experience on their part but rather because there's some societal factor helping guide their thought process.

Even volunteering is a bit of a joke. My friend sits on adcom's for Western and he rolls his eyes at most of the applicants volunteering experience because he knows a good portion of them didn't do it because it was something that connected with and that it mattered to them. They did it because it might look good on a med school application.

Now, are there younger people who make the correct call right off the bat? Absolutely but I wager most don't and that boils down to the fact they haven't experienced air outside of anything other than what the game dictates they do in order to give them a shot at getting in.

Bit of a screwed up system if you ask me :)

Yes, but our game like you said isn't exactly the same "intensity". We know what we've done before, a bit more of who we really are, what we're looking for in life. Like for me, the money aspect has absolutely nothing to do with picking med.

I completely agree about the volunteering. Honestly I find it strange that most of the schools weigh that so heavily because they have to know a lot of students do it only to pad their applications? Of course some people really enjoy and would do it regardless, but is that really the majority? I didn't bother with ECs and all besides my 20 years swim career. It was my joy for all those years, and taught me a lot. :)

I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and we should go with the flow in matters beyond our control. Often things that disappoint us lead to other doors being opened that we would never see otherwise.

I believe that too. Also, it is sometimes a lot easier to make multiple changes at once, especially when the first change is brought on by outside "help".

Guys....

Remember at the very least what it was like at 17 or 18 - with grade 13 gone and the current press for the majority of students to go to university (and trades still looked down upon). I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's very difficult (at least in my observations here in ONT) to really "pick a program that you love" at such an early age, confounded by factors such as grades, family, cultural pressures, etc. I remember choosing to going into my program because of the "prestige" associated with it and the entry rate getting into medicine. Because of my relatively "top" high school avg, I felt that a more "difficult" program was where I belonged. In retrospect, I don't think I made the right choice but I also didn't feel informed enough about myself or the process to make an active decision. Having familial and cultural pressures as well, takes away even more of the autonomy. Ask a 90% or above high school student here on what they want to study in university/post university, it's these four things:

1) Engineering

2) Medicine

3) Law

4) Less commonly, accounting.

Tell them that there are lots of other careers, they scoff at you and continue to believe that they are "destined" to follow these choices because of their average.

After quite a few posts and talking to everyone on FC, I'm glad that I understand the system to a better degree but I still believe that the obsession is driven by an ultra-competitive system that shows very little mercy to failure or a pre-med's self-esteem. It builds on a vicious cycle - an early interest of becoming a doctor is implanted, then like a cancer it grows as we become more aware of the rules of the game - the elusive 3.9+, the ECs one must have, "What are my chances" threads popping up, MCAT. With challenges presented, one must gather the strength to press forward to meet that goal - just like competing at the olympics. For instance, in ONT if you live in the GTA and the children of immigrants you don't have any rules that favour you anywhere. You have to work hard for U of T, cross your fingers for Mac, pray for Western (11VR), and guess for Queens (because I still have NO idea how they work...they should update their admissions page). Given these lofty requirements, please forgive us if we turn a bit obsessive/compulsive. We're sorry that we have no idea what ECs they want/are good and loosely base our volunteering choices on someone else's CV who got into medicine. Furthermore, pardon our GPA scrounging, fighting, and self-pity because we want the best chances and we dream of meeting the goal we set out for - no one wants to taste the sourness of disappointment, despite whether or not it may be served on our platter. Realistically, I think we all know what it's like to face rejection; though we may accept it, we still strive our best to avoid it. Perhaps this is what you call, hard work?

The things we do as young premeds matter severely to us - otherwise why would we obsess about it? We want to look our best for adcom - like for any job interview, you put your best foot forward. We are still struggling in our naiive youth to find that balance that you have cultivated with the gift of time - but remember both trads and non-trads here have the same goal. Med school.

So please...don't treat me like I'm OCD and devoid of any true meaning in life other than the self-serving goal of choosing a career that I will eventually come to hate. Many of us try to keep our sanity. There are good pre-meds out there, young but driven - our actions may seem OCD but that's just the praxis of the system. None of us know (or have the power) to change it...the power of adcom remains behind the golden gates of the medical school office.

There are good pre-meds out there...I try to be one. But we're just not a racemic mixture ;)

Mac, I'm not saying there aren't any younger students who really know what they want from life and know that med is right for them, of course there are!! And judging by how eloquently you "speak", you don't strike me as obsessive in a negative way :)

I did weights this morning for the first time in 3 months! Well not very long for the first session, but better than nothing no? I'm so far ahead compared to where I was 3 months out of my first surgery. I'm guessing in 3 weeks I should be close to 85-90% max strength, with power taking much much longer (like around a year to fully come back). My trainer was extremely surprised at how well my shoulder was moving and nice mechanics, but I wasn't. I knew they were solid just weaker. I lost around 7-8lbs during that time, mostly muscle mass. Crazy considering my legs haven't really shrunk with the running/biking/stairs. Going for a run now.

I just read this article and it made me very :(

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/education/school/want-your-kid-in-prep-school-students-reveal-how-to-score-a-coveted-spot/article2044942/

Prep services for private high schools.

I feel such despair of the current state of the educational system, especially after watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

While tuitions are not at high in Canada, some of the things mentioned video are equally disturbing and evident here. For example - undergrads not being able to degree related work after grad, and many many people getting 4.0 averages at any given university. In this one particular part - this guy mentioned how it took 50-60 years of a university's history (once upon a time) to fill up one plaque with names of people with 4.0 GPAs - today's graduating classes fill up several each year. This may have to do with greater enrolment, but proportionately...everything seems to be pointing to mark inflation. (Is university is the new high school?)

And now we have, at the other end of the spectrum...high schools more competitive than universities. What is going on? :(

// end rant.

I just read this article and it made me very :(

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/education/school/want-your-kid-in-prep-school-students-reveal-how-to-score-a-coveted-spot/article2044942/

Prep services for private high schools.

I feel such despair of the current state of the educational system, especially after watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

While tuitions are not at high in Canada, some of the things mentioned video are equally disturbing and evident here. For example - undergrads not being able to degree related work after grad, and many many people getting 4.0 averages at any given university. In this one particular part - this guy mentioned how it took 50-60 years of a university's history (once upon a time) to fill up one plaque with names of people with 4.0 GPAs - today's graduating classes fill up several each year. This may have to do with greater enrolment, but proportionately...everything seems to be pointing to mark inflation. (Is university is the new high school?)

And now we have, at the other end of the spectrum...high schools more competitive than universities. What is going on? :(

// end rant.

Because grades can be bought...through private education. University is no exception to that sort of institution at times. It's sad yeah.

Yikes. I actually went to UTS for a couple of years and it just wasn't for me. My parents have always emphasized the importance of education above all else and would do anything to help me, but such a single minded focus on one institution (like the mother of that 11 year old girl) cannot be healthy.

When applying for a US visa, I'm asked: "Do you intend to commit any acts of terror during your intended stay in the United States?" LOL

Had to be a real genius for the person who came up with that question and the person who decided to include it. :D After all, a truthful answer would save the USA so much trouble.

I also find a lot of people look for what they want out of their life in solely their job, and many becoming very disappointed as the grow older and realize that all the jarring they've been doing to purposelessly match into radiology since the age of 18 has been for rather capricious reasons that bring a sense of social happiness in the immediacy by the virtue of social reinforcements but may not be a long and ever lasting happiness.

We do need cogs in the wheel, no? and some people melancholically trudge through their life out of undergrad as accountants believing they've made their family proud, that their material possessions are an extension of their self worth, and that their good credit score is evidence of their "success" in life.

In the end, if you've been liberated enough to think in a non traditional way, and don't have financial or family burdens you realize that the self is a progression through time, and there is nothing stopping you from waking up and igniting change at any moment, aside from your (or societally) imposed limitations.

i don't know how you can't look at medical school applications as a game, they're so capricious, heterogeneous, and often feel like a sieve, you just never know who's going to fall through and whether they're qualified (whatever qualified means in a quantitative way anyways).

anyhoo, enough social diatribe, time to go hot tubbing :)

qft, one of the best posts on these forums

anyone know how to fix computers? about a hour ago, my computer just froze, and so I tried restarting it. And every time when I restarted, a big window pops up and says Warning! Identity theft attempt detected. And it has the hidden connection IP, Security risk, target, and my ip address. I can't seem to open any of my documents nor have access to the internet. It's like everything's dead... Right now, I'm sitting in an internet cafe that smells like poop, whiling trying to work on my letter to the dean. if anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know asap.

I'm very technologically challenged/

Looks like a virus/malware problem. What's your antivirus package, when did you last update it, and do you run virus scans frequently (ie. at least every couple weeks) ?

Did you visit any weird websites, download anything just before the issues came up or insert a USB drive that was used on another computer? All possible ways for a virus to get in.

Since the computer won't let you do anything, you'll probably have to get someone to deal with it. Ask your techy friends etc....it's usually not worth paying Stapes for dealing with malware removal.

I think I use Microsoft security essentials? I'm not even sure.. haha. I'm so technically challenged. This has happened in the past too, fairly frequently, like that same window would pop up. But usually, everything still works and if not, restarting the computer always did the trick. Until today... everything just crashed. I'll try to get this fixed asap. ugh... everything 's such bad timing.

anyone know how to fix computers? about a hour ago, my computer just froze, and so I tried restarting it. And every time when I restarted, a big window pops up and says Warning! Identity theft attempt detected. And it has the hidden connection IP, Security risk, target, and my ip address. I can't seem to open any of my documents nor have access to the internet. It's like everything's dead... Right now, I'm sitting in an internet cafe that smells like poop, whiling trying to work on my letter to the dean. if anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know asap.

I'm very technologically challenged/

Similar thing happened to my computer. I was able to fix it by going into safe mode and doing a system restore (this means you don't lose any of your files) to an earlier point. But, this only worked because I got the virus on the same day. You said this happened before so it might not work :( anyway you should try this method and if it doesn't work then you are SOL.

Archived