Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No I didn't do the 2nd test. What I mean is 5ish years ago I did the 1st test and got a positive reaction and went for a CxR. Since then I've always showed that result to skip the PPD test. But McGill wanted me to redo it anyways last year. :rolleyes:

Ah ok, makes sense. I just looked at my info - UdeM indeed doesn't redo the test if you have written proof you had a positive one before.

EDIT: *e-hugs* MarathonRunner!! I hope you feel better soon! It's the perfect excuse to sit back and watch daytime TV all day. Wait.... nothing is ever on daytime TV (I hope you're not a "Young and the Restless" fan!).... umm... kick back and watch some movies! Funny ones so you don't cry and get even more stuffed up (if one gets stuffed up with Mumps that is!). Also, make your SO, friends or family make you food and make you tea and stuff, even if you're sick it feels nice to have someone bring you stuff!

Thanks. I've actually been sleeping most of the day and night. Haven't slept so much in ages. My husband is taking good care of me too - making me soup and going out to get me ice cream, since eating anything solid is far too painful.

I felt the same with with biochem labwork, Leon.

I can definitely relate!

I was prepping samples for PCR today and did everything in epi tubes. Apparently the ****ing machine only accomodates MINIepitubes and I had to do the entire prep again!

UTSC profs are so stingy. Our pipettors don't eject the tips when you press the button, our PCR machine is probably the first one ever made and the gel running apparatus is essentially a toy -argh!

I was prepping samples for PCR today and did everything in epi tubes. Apparently the ****ing machine only accomodates MINIepitubes and I had to do the entire prep again!

UTSC profs are so stingy. Our pipettors don't eject the tips when you press the button, our PCR machine is probably the first one ever made and the gel running apparatus is essentially a toy -argh!

Again, I totally feel for you! And it is so important to have the proper tools when doing biochem research. What is your project focusing on, Leon?

Again, I totally feel for you! And it is so important to have the proper tools when doing biochem research. What is your project focusing on, Leon?

Meiosis in plants. There's a protein involved in initiating genetic recombination (crossing over) during meiosis. In a double mutant (which has no copies of this gene), crossing over is almost zero and gametes are inviable. My project is to determine the effect of a single mutant (so it's heterozygous and has one copy of the gene) on genetic recombination, and see if a single copy of the gene is enough to generate cross overs. It's an awesome project but the methodology is extremely tedious!

What's your work on?

Awesome! Clinical research is something I want to get involved in eventually. My only research in the past (and current) is in developmental biology in spiders so I wanted to do some molecular stuff in the summer. Ironically, I might do a combined molecular analysis of spiders as my 4th yr thesis next fall.

Working with people must be inspiring- my spiders and plants don't interact with me very much. ;)

Awesome! Clinical research is something I want to get involved in eventually. My only research in the past (and current) is in developmental biology in spiders so I wanted to do some molecular stuff in the summer. Ironically, I might do a combined molecular analysis of spiders as my 4th yr thesis next fall.

Working with people must be inspiring- my spiders and plants don't interact with me very much. ;)

Secretly, I would love to do research on spiders. I think they are cute (weird, I know, but I am a dork).

If you ever decide to do clinical research in the future, your prior work will be a great asset.

Do you actually get to work with spiders? Or, I know this sounds sad, but do you essentially crush them up and extract DNA from their tissue?

Do you actually get to work with spiders? Or, I know this sounds sad, but do you essentially crush them up and extract DNA from their tissue?

So far I've only been freezing them to kill, and then measuring body sizes and haven't actually done any mutilation but I might have to do that in the fall....:eek:

So tired/lazy today. And I had a bunch of stuff to do, but I ended up spending the day reading a novel.

That was me over the weekend.

I realized today that I'm actually ahead of my MCAT schedule when I thought I was 3 days behind! More chilling time :D

I just got my MMR booster done and my Hep B results came in on time and I've got immunity, yay. Going to go watch the game with some friends at another friend's place. No way I'm going downtown tonight.

Smart idea. Getting beaten, robbed or shot before you enter med school woould doubly suck hah

Archived