Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

We had our welcome to school meeting this morning premeds and 1st years. Those of us in premed are matched with a 1st year to kinda help us along and pass on useful info. So, what are the chances they managed to match my MSc in computer science with a guy my age (we're actually only 3 weeks apart) who got his UG in computer eng and did a phd in bioinformatics? Too awesome, we reminisced about writing code in VIM and still knowing the shortcuts :D

Calling my OS' secretary tomorrow morning so that I can hopefully get an appointment with him before October for my shoulder. I'm tired of not knowing what's going on, and hence being afraid to do much of anything.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We had our welcome to school meeting this morning premeds and 1st years. Those of us in premed are matched with a 1st year to kinda help us along and pass on useful info. So, what are the chances they managed to match my MSc in computer science with a guy my age (we're actually only 3 weeks apart) who got his UG in computer eng and did a phd in bioinformatics? Too awesome, we reminisced about writing code in VIM and still knowing the shortcuts :D

Calling my OS' secretary tomorrow morning so that I can hopefully get an appointment with him before October for my shoulder. I'm tired of not knowing what's going on, and hence being afraid to do much of anything.

You'll be great Michelle!!! And yeah I hope there are nerds like that in med school...otherwise it'll be another very lonely 4 years -_-

So, what are the chances they managed to match my MSc in computer science with a guy my age (we're actually only 3 weeks apart) who got his UG in computer eng and did a phd in bioinformatics? Too awesome, we reminisced about writing code in VIM and still knowing the shortcuts :D
Bow chika wow wow.

I'm laughing too hard now!

I was really surprised to meet 2 other guys that did B.Eng in computer, that makes at least 3 of us out of 30ish students with at least a UG in my year. And one girl comes from a literature masters, while another is a professional piano accompanist. Completely different backgrounds!

Terrible thing the first thing in the morning...got a text from my friend saying that he died

I found out after I got home from work. I was wondering why everyone was asking me about Jack Layton's fracture (I was doing an orthopedics clinic).

I'm laughing too hard now!

I was really surprised to meet 2 other guys that did B.Eng in computer, that makes at least 3 of us out of 30ish students with at least a UG in my year. And one girl comes from a literature masters, while another is a professional piano accompanist. Completely different backgrounds!

I am always VERY interested in how those music majors get in, and how their app looks like. Admission perhaps because of sui generis nature of the applicant?

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but it'll be fun to look how they manage or bring new perspective while in med school, or how they deal with the science rigor.

Well, they would have the prerequisites the same as anyone else. The main science courses I can think of that would be helpful for medicine would be anatomy and physiology (and we learned some physiology in high school). I had never taken anatomy, microbiology, or pharmacology, and learned those in preclerkship years - had to spend some more time on anatomy, but it worked out ok.

Busy day today. Still jetlagged from being back from Toronto/Montreal yesterday. Woke up at 9 to go to the bank to find out what my account number and transit number were for my student loan agreement form, then went to go buy scrubs and a short lab coat but they didn't have a lab coat in my size or the length needed for UBC med students, then went to my new place and got the keys to the place from my roommate (moving in Thursday) and made measurements with my measuring tape, then went home and picked out a desk from Ikea that fit those dimensions comfortably.

Now I'm watching Scrubs and playing Zelda.

Busy day today. Still jetlagged from being back from Toronto/Montreal yesterday. Woke up at 9 to go to the bank to find out what my account number and transit number were for my student loan agreement form, then went to go buy scrubs and a short lab coat but they didn't have a lab coat in my size or the length needed for UBC med students, then went to my new place and got the keys to the place from my roommate (moving in Thursday) and made measurements with my measuring tape, then went home and picked out a desk from Ikea that fit those dimensions comfortably.

Now I'm watching Scrubs and playing Zelda.

Yeah, that's my plan for tomorrow. Hit up the scrub shop down the street from my place, buy a short coat. Then it's off to the hematologist for the 3 month check up.

Today I spent the day doing scut around the parents house. Dealt with movers, shaw, plumbers, locksmiths and painters. Then came home and cleaned my place, set up the office (all I need is a chair) and did some laundry.

I've still got a whole bunch of stuff to take care of, but I'll hopefully get through it over the next week or so.

Yeah, that's my plan for tomorrow. Hit up the scrub shop down the street from my place, buy a short coat. Then it's off to the hematologist for the 3 month check up.

Today I spent the day doing scut around the parents house. Dealt with movers, shaw, plumbers, locksmiths and painters. Then came home and cleaned my place, set up the office (all I need is a chair) and did some laundry.

I've still got a whole bunch of stuff to take care of, but I'll hopefully get through it over the next week or so.

Still haven't bought the short lab coat. Went to two stores the other day and neither had my size! Still need to get a decent computer + printer and get in line with a billion other students to print off my U-pass at the bookstore.

Archived