Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMSAS submitted. Finally.

After interviewing like 10 people, this prof chose me to apply for a research internship with him :D :D wooo! He was my first choice too. I love how sometimes things just work out.

congrats! Research is awesome :D

I do that while doing treadmill or stepmill work and suddenly an hour has passed by and you barely realize it.

great for time efficiencies :)

good luck with the studying!!!

i used to read harry potter while riding the stationary bike

the bike is boring now though

going to start treadmill-ing

Ok I've come to the conclusion that adcoms need to add one important prereq for admissions: burn out.

Burn out sucks, I wouldn't wish it upon anybody. In my particular case it resulted in me falling asleep at the wheel and crashing into a guard rail on the highway (in my 2nd year of UG). But I think its better to burn out before med/residency than during. Consequences are way less. And it teaches you the value of your time/effort. No the world is not your oyster, nor do you have infinite ability to conquer it. Too many try-hards burning out in my class right now. Its a 5 to 9 year marathon! Not a sprint! Its as annoying as watching rich kids spend $$ like it grows on trees. :rolleyes:

I feel ^ is what leads to so many docs and med students hating their lives, their patients, etc. Burn out earlier! Undergrad is actually the perfect time. That way you know that yes you DO have to conserve energy and ration your mental strength, and henceforth live overall a healthier life through your years of training and practice.

/rant

Ok I've come to the conclusion that adcoms need to add one important prereq for admissions: burn out.

Burn out sucks, I wouldn't wish it upon anybody. In my particular case it resulted in me falling asleep at the wheel and crashing into a guard rail on the highway (in my 2nd year of UG). But I think its better to burn out before med/residency than during. Consequences are way less. And it teaches you the value of your time/effort. No the world is not your oyster, nor do you have infinite ability to conquer it. Too many try-hards burning out in my class right now. Its a 5 to 9 year marathon! Not a sprint! Its as annoying as watching rich kids spend $$ like it grows on trees. :rolleyes:

I feel ^ is what leads to so many docs and med students hating their lives, their patients, etc. Burn out earlier! Undergrad is actually the perfect time. That way you know that yes you DO have to conserve energy and ration your mental strength, and henceforth live overall a healthier life through your years of training and practice.

/rant

Good thing I'm done with it already. And I'm sure it's at least partially cos of your never ending mantra "burn out, burn out, burn out" heh

i hate my life

i haven't kept in touch with any of my friends over the last 3 years.

and now i have this year of doing random stuff that's great, but i have nothing fun to do and noone to do it with.

Sucks.. but if my friend bailed on me for 3 years I would not "take them back" so easily LOL.

/rant

I agree! And I'm already done with that too.. I'm avoiding a whole lot of people in my class right now because they're just so damn stressed out about our first exam which is pretty easy stuff really. Our FB group starts with 25-30 posts about past exam questions where they argue and stress even more! Oh well they'll figure it out eventually ;)

i hate my life

i haven't kept in touch with any of my friends over the last 3 years.

and now i have this year of doing random stuff that's great, but i have nothing fun to do and noone to do it with.

Hey nikki, we are in the same boat, the only difference being perspective or attitude. I too have lost all friends. In your activities, you will find others with common interests. Your self-sacrifice was well worth it and it will all work out!:) Your best company is yourself. ;)

I've never posted in this thread before! Here goes...

Submitted OMSAS yesterday. Now I need to start McGill and stress out until all my supporting docs have been submitted.

It doesn't help that all my favourite shows are back! Modern Family, It's Always Sunny, Dexter, Parks and Rec....why must you tempt me???

/rant

Wise words.

Applying for it, not doing it lol. I heard they are only giving out a few of them, and all RAY students working in organized research centres are eligible (including non-science ones like LaMarsh, apparently), so I'm not sure what the chances of actually getting it are. Not that it really matters as a RAY student since you are getting paid either way :P

The student that David selected to apply for an NSERC two years ago got rejected, so yeah.

yeah but I don't get that many hours as a ray student (I guess its diff if you're a RAY student in a research center tho)... that scholarship pays good money... better than NSERC - $3000 working part-time for 4-5 months vs. $4500 working full-time for 4 months (NSERC is such a rip-off lol)

Don't you just need a high gpa to get an NSERC?

Archived