Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

Skipping class tomorrow morning so I can hopefully sleep over 5 hours tonight.. I've been having crappy nights dreaming about my midterm material ugh. 3 days left to study, and I've pretty much done nothing. Anatomy is so much more interesting and fun than molecular bio!

Went to do weights this morning and I ended up changing everything at the end.. When 20lbs dumbbells feel like they're actually 20kg dumbbells, I'm thinking this means something :/

Positive note today.. our prof for anatomy is a friend of mine from swimming (and I've been talking to her about ortho) so I went to my first anatomy lecture since August. She's a great prof, and we also had some time to chat before and after, and I got to see her awesome 6 month old twin baby girls at the day care center at school (1 light, 1 black)!

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys,

I am in need of drivers. reformatting suckssss..... where can i get ALL the drivers I will ever need for my xp desktop?

I should add, I'm quite computer illiterate. The last time I reformatted (eons ago), things magically worked. This time, not so hawt.

:confused::(

EDIT: I should also add, that my reformat CD has become faulty. double sad-face.

Guys,

I am in need of drivers. reformatting suckssss..... where can i get ALL the drivers I will ever need for my xp desktop?

I should add, I'm quite computer illiterate. The last time I reformatted (eons ago), things magically worked. This time, not so hawt.

EDIT: I should also add, that my reformat CD has become faulty. double sad-face.

Who made the computer? The manufacturer's site (eg. Asus, Dell, HP) usually has the drivers. You just need to know the model of your computer.

You also might have gotten a CD/DVD with all the drivers on it, that came with my laptop.

Who made the computer? The manufacturer's site (eg. Asus, Dell, HP) usually has the drivers. You just need to know the model of your computer.

Ahh, I learned something new.

okay, so it's an old MDG desktop from 2005-2006 era. Where can I find this "model number" biznazz?

^ The above is a great example of why I think I should marry a computer literate guy. That, and the ability to get rid of creepy crawlies. :D

EDIT: So I looked for the model number (on the sticker on the side of the cpu) and all i see is the product key for the xp edition that i have. Does this mean "woe is me"?

Ahh, I learned something new.

okay, so it's an old MDG desktop from 2005-2006 era. Where can I find this "model number" biznazz?

^ The above is a great example of why I think I should marry a computer literate guy. That, and the ability to get rid of creepy crawlies. :D

EDIT: So I looked for the model number (on the sticker on the side of the cpu) and all i see is the product key for the xp edition that i have. Does this mean "woe is me"?

Hmm... can you try this?

Start -> My Computer -> System Properties (or Properties)

It should give you the model number?

Try it out.

Guys,

That computer is 6 years old! You're gonna have trouble finding drivers for it! Luckily its an mdg and they don't use any "bespoke" parts on their computers. You need to find out what motherboard and video card you have.

As you computer starts up hit pause quickly and see what your motherboard manufacturer name and model number is. It will say something like Asus p4tx or Intel (something-or-other). The vid card is trickier, but the motherboard is more important so do that one first.

Btw you're not the only one using an old computer. My desktop is from 2007 and with a little maintenance its still running strong :cool:. Unlike leon I see no need to have the absolute most tricked out computer....my bedroom is not gonna be anymore impressive with it. Although he says something similar about my car...

Unlike leon I see no need to have the absolute most tricked out computer....my bedroom is not gonna be anymore impressive with it. Although he says something similar about my car...

WELL now. Unfortunately I'm so impatient that I need a computer that boots before I blink my eyes and loads websites before I click on them. :P And it's already outdated now, thanks to these companies that churn out new parts every other day. And my bedroom IS more impressive with it- I've basically got my own furnace for winter heating :D

Actually, I 100% agree with your car choice. What I don't get is why you meddle with its insides so much. The physician mentality eh? :P

As you computer starts up hit pause quickly and see what your motherboard manufacturer name and model number is. It will say something like Asus p4tx or Intel (something-or-other). The vid card is trickier, but the motherboard is more important so do that one first.

Another way to do this, at least in Windows 7, is to access your Device Manager. Mine doesn't tell me the model number of the computer but it will tell you about all your hardware, including your video card. I haven't used XP in a long time but it looks like you can access it through Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System, Hardware, Device Manager.

To find your computer model, you could install CPUID HWMonitor. It'll list some key pieces of hardware (and their temperatures which is the actual reason I use it). But unless you actually care about your computer temps this seems like a stupidly drawn out way of doing things.

^ all that needs the proper drivers installed first. If you don't have the proper drivers the OS will use generic drivers (which won't tell you much) or will give you the stupid yellow "?".

Thanks for all the help guys! You're all so smart! :)

I'm going to try fiddling with it on startup deeman.

I have my last midterm on Friday, then the goal for this weekend is to write my 2nd ethics mini-essay and my 2nd socio essay. I absolutely hate those 2 classes even though the ethics material is actually kinda interesting now. Way too much writing to do with all the other classes around, so I'm hoping to be done with that so I can catch up on my other classes.

I have my last midterm on Friday, then the goal for this weekend is to write my 2nd ethics mini-essay and my 2nd socio essay. I absolutely hate those 2 classes even though the ethics material is actually kinda interesting now. Way too much writing to do with all the other classes around, so I'm hoping to be done with that so I can catch up on my other classes.

Good luck with those! Ethics essays are always kind of mind bending for me to write lol. My last midterm is this Saturday and then I have lab reports, various presentations to do right after. I``m just counting down the days till the holidays!

Ortho wants to schedule knee surgery Dec 6th - 2 daya before the start of exams :(

Dunno what to do

That sucks. My cardiologist wanted me to try new medication but I explained to him that I don't want to have any adverse affects during the school year so we put if off until April. Obviously this is not the same issue as surgery, hopefully you can work something out with your doc... if not maybe with the university.

Good luck.:)

ABS

Archived