Premed 101 Forums

Do you think I can still get in?

Guest yangyoomi

Guest yangyoomi

I know many threads of this sort have already been posted.

So here are some of my stats:

- UTSG

- First year: 1.3GPA - failed 2 courses, retook them in the summer and passed with both 70s- also went onto academic probation

- Second year: 4.0 GPA - I REALLY REALLY picked up my game

- Third year: Not sure but i think I'm getting around a 3.92-ish... still waiting for the final marks to come in

-Volunteered at a hospital second year and half way through third year

-Volunteered at Science Rendezvous event

-psychology research with a professor for one year

I don't have any reference letters and I don't have a good excuse for my first year. I don't know why my marks were so bad. I didn't have any health issues or family issues, nor was I doing too many extracurriculars. In fact, I felt like I did so much more in my second year and my third year right now yet my GPA is so much higher.

I think it was just because I was lazy and I was still adjusting to the new environment.

I know Western looks at the two best years, but.... my first year was BEYOND horrible. How will they look at it? Would I still have a reasonable chance of getting in?

I understand your fear - we are all paranoid people in premed land :) - but you are actually in very good shape.

they will not look at your first year, you were smart and retook the bad courses in the summer, and did VERY well after. They will only see your 2 and third years.

Western from the GPA stand point will look at you highly. Also it sounds like you should be able to get reference letters easily enough - you have a good courses over the last few years, and volunteer work.

Western and Queens are open for you now, and in time Ottawa and maybe even toronto may come online for you (after your 4th year Ottawa will drop that first year too, and depending on if you dropped any courses to below a 10 course per year level, Toronto might let you drop 8 courses, which is basically the first year too.)

Do the Mcat and do well, and keep it up!

Best of luck!

I know many threads of this sort have already been posted.

So here are some of my stats:

- UTSG

- First year: 1.3GPA - failed 2 courses, retook them in the summer and passed with both 70s- also went onto academic probation

- Second year: 4.0 GPA - I REALLY REALLY picked up my game

- Third year: Not sure but i think I'm getting around a 3.92-ish... still waiting for the final marks to come in

-Volunteered at a hospital second year and half way through third year

-Volunteered at Science Rendezvous event

-psychology research with a professor for one year

I don't have any reference letters and I don't have a good excuse for my first year. I don't know why my marks were so bad. I didn't have any health issues or family issues, nor was I doing too many extracurriculars. In fact, I felt like I did so much more in my second year and my third year right now yet my GPA is so much higher.

I think it was just because I was lazy and I was still adjusting to the new environment.

I know Western looks at the two best years, but.... my first year was BEYOND horrible. How will they look at it? Would I still have a reasonable chance of getting in?

Guest yangyoomi

thank you for your advice. i've just been so worried after first year. i'm still waiting for my marks to come in. *crosses fingers*

Archived