Premed 101 Forums

mmi thank-you notes?

I'm curious as to whether or not those of you who have done the MMIs at McMaster have written any kind of thank-you notes and, if so, to whom and in what format? Did you send off an email to the adcom director saying thanks? Did you send notes to all the different people (not really possible, right?). Or did you not give any kind of thank-you note at all?

Ummm, no? I'm sorry, is it just me, or are interview thank you notes kind of ridiculous keener over-kill?

I think thank you notes are appropriate for those who give us Letters of Reference (even though we will never really know if any of these Letters were not so strong or even worse) and we should follow up to let them know if we were accepted, but I never heard of "interview" thank you notes nor do I believe they would be appropriate if we knew how to contact these people. [Disclosure: I was not interviewed.]

I think thank you notes are appropriate for those who give us Letters of Reference (even though we will never really know if any of these Letters were not so strong or even worse) and we should follow up to let them know if we were accepted, but I never heard of "interview" thank you notes nor do I believe they would be appropriate if we knew how to contact these people. [Disclosure: I was not interviewed.]

Why wouldn't you know how strong a reference letter is?

Why wouldn't you know how strong a reference letter is?

Because we don't actually get to see what the referee says about us in the LOR or Confidential Assessment Form.

We 'believe' we know what they are going to write about us, but we don't really know for sure. Yes, we can ask for a 'strong' reference, only go to a potential referee whom we believe has reason to give a strong reference based upon detailed knowledge of us, but if the person happens to be overburdened with other more pressing matters at the time, does not pay attention to detail, etc, who knows? That's why it is important to choose people who know us well and in whom we trust, to prepare an updated CV that reminds them of our strengths. Occasionally a referee who is busy may ask us to prepare a draft for them to consider and change as they consider appropriate.

Depending upon the med school, the LOR is given less or more weight. As I understand it, a school might only consider it only for purposes of revealing whether there is a 'red flag' in our character or history whereas other schools give great weight to what is written about us.

wtf? why would you send a thank you note, especially for the MMI.

1. theres no way of knowing who the 12 people who interviewed you are

2. it has no impact on acceptance

3. the school gets money from you application to hold the interviews

wtf? why would you send a thank you note, especially for the MMI.

1. theres no way of knowing who the 12 people who interviewed you are

2. it has no impact on acceptance

3. the school gets money from you application to hold the interviews

Maybe they're just a nice person? ;)

Maybe they're just a nice person? ;)

I don't even know how they could send thank-you notes. Even if your interviewers have a name tag with their full name on it (at least at one of my MMIs, there was only a first name), there's no way you could remember all the 8+ names - and they won't let you take any pieces of paper outside of the MMI area, so you couldn't write them down and take them home, either.

I wouldn't send any kind of note, as pointed out it's not like a job interview where the person interviewing you made the decision to grant you the interview. The people who interviewed you were assigned to you, just as they were assigned to every other person the adcom decided they should interview.

Archived