Premed 101 Forums

Need help, applying to ophtho and derm

Hello there,

I am pretty new to this forum and excited to find the website. I have a question and I would be thankful for any feedback.

I am meds 2010 and have to go through Carms in couple of months. I am debating between optho and dermatology. Most of my research is in dermatology. I was wondering if I do split my PreCarms rotations to Derm and Optho and internal would be disadvantages on my application. I would like to have chanceto get an interview for both opthto and derm..

Thanks big time

Nava

Try checking on the CaRMS website under the specific listings for programs that you are interested in, and see what they say they prefer in candidates. Sometimes its a good idea to try to connect with people in the programs as well to see what sorts of things help make your application more solid. Planning ahead is always a good thing, just don't leave elective requests to the last minute if you can help it!

I agree with Satsuma.

It's much better for you to decide between the two and focus your electives on that one specialty. You can then maximize your chances of getting interviews and making contacts. As I'm sure you know, the match rates for both of those specialties are the lowest of pretty much all specialities (perhaps, derm > ophtho).

Really think about what it is that you like about the specialities and make a decision. Neither are good back-ups for the other. I suppose doing an internal medicine elective would not be a bad idea as you should have a solid back-up plan.

Undoubtly during CaRMS interviews, you will be asked about your elective choices and about your commitment to the speciality. Having your pre-CaRMS electives split between three different specialities will make you look less committed (whatever the truth might be).

I agree with the previous posts: you must give serious consideration to a strategy that involves applying to two competitive specialties. If you split your electives 50/50 between these two, you risk being perceived as a wishy-washy candidate for both programs. That said, if you have a genuine interest in both specialties, you may wish to take that risk. Anecdotally, there is an individual in my class who split her electives between two competitive specialties, and successfully matched to her first choice. She simply explained at her interviews that she was interested in both Specialty A and Specialty B, and therefore spent equal amounts of elective time in both. Because one wouldn't normally dream of backing up with either specialty, the program directors apparently took her explanation at face value. Perhaps, because neither program is "used" to being the back up specialty, these programs are more accepting of this explanation than less competitive specialties that are wary of and experienced with candidates who are not particularly interested in their program.

my view is, split the the electives and apply to both derm and ophthal if you are interested in both

the worse case scenario is going unmatched - which would be pretty bad but not the end of the world

if that were to happen, you still have choices of re-applying or considering internal in the 2nd round (which btw has a lot of empty spots this year), or consider applying to the states

I would split them too. In Quebec though, my school allows maximum 2 surgical electives (any) and maximum 2 in the same domaine. A good friend of mine did 1 official in plastics and one official in ENT. She did 2 extra summer observerships (I believe 2.5 weeks) in plastics so it wouldn't count as part of the rules.

So in the end, she had 3 plastics electives/observership, 1 ENT elective and she had plastics research.

She was interviewed in plastics all over canada (12 interviews I think) and got 4-5 ENT interviews.

She ended up unmatched though, but those are 2 insane specialties. I don't think it had to do with being not a serious candidate. I think it's because the competition is INSANE. She probably should have backed her first choice up with something a little easier. She is trying to get some observerships in gen surg this year, and that's going to be her backup (along with internal, family, etc.) I think when you go after those really, really hard specialty's you have to accept that it *might* not happen. And plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Archived