Kill the TV: Suggestions for Reading Material

AdamP

Hello AdamP! Here is my selection:

- Any books from Carlene Thompson

- Any books from Mary Higgins Clark

- Tell me your dreams by Sydney Sheldon

- The fire dwellers by Margaret Lawrence

- Running with scissors by Augusten Burroughs

- currently reading : When The air hits your brain by Frank Vertosick so far so good!

Bonne Lecture :)

whoo go Boa :) I can't believe I have yet to read "Running with scissors" !! I've heard it's great.

P.S. You may have to read "The Glass Castle" by Walls. A little bird told me you may fall in love with it...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whoo go Boa :) I can't believe I have yet to read "Running with scissors" !! I've heard it's great.

P.S. You may have to read "The Glass Castle" by Walls. A little bird told me you may fall in love with it...

running with scissors is a great read! Its funny but ''deep'' at the same time. If you do read it and want to put a face on the characters, the movie based on the book is uploaded on

Merci pour ta suggestion! J'adore les mémoires et les biographies :P Le résumé est accrocheur, so hopefully i can find it at my local library!

running with scissors is a great read! Its funny but ''deep'' at the same time. If you do read it and want to put a face on the characters, the movie based on the book is uploaded on

Merci pour ta suggestion! J'adore les mémoires et les biographies :P Le résumé est accrocheur, so hopefully i can find it at my local library!

Si tu ne peut pas le trouver, just request it. Mais, c'est un livre tres popular! Hehe I should vous envoyer ma copie :P

Thanks for the youtube link! I'll def watch it after reading the book :)

trop des livres a lire! j'adore l'ete :P

I finished reading American Psycho last week and really loved it. If you liked the movie, I'd definitely recommend it. It has more hardcore violence than the film, but you get a more in depth look at Patrick's completely wrecked psyche. It's basically a dark but completely hilarious satire of the '80s, and I love a good black comedy.

if you want to reclaim some childhood fantasy, then read "The Bridge to Terabithia" or anything by E. Nesbitt

I disliked Life of Pi... I've read it twice now, and it was torturous getting through the second half both times. it's a decent enough novel, but receives undeserved praise in my opinion.

why is there no love for more Canadian authors in this thread? try out "Barney's Version" by Mordecai Richler (and then watch the movie.. Paul Giamatti, Rosamund Pike, Dustin Hoffman, what else could you ask for?) or anything by Douglas Coupland ("jPod", "All Families are Psychotic", "The Gum Thief", etc...) for something more lighthearted. Ann-Marie Macdonald's novels are also amazing, especially "Fall on your Knees".

right now, I'm reading "The Birth House" by Ami McKay, also a Canadian, and it's about midwifery in the early 20th century... definitely captivating.

this is my favourite part of summer, catching up on novels!

^ I read Life of Pi a few summers ago and enjoyed it - but only as a light summer read. I remember enjoying the plot but didn't get much out of it meaning-wise. I read Midnight's Children that summer as well and had sort of the same experience, but I really think that book warrants another read. I also read (all I did that summer was MCAT study and read, haha) probably 3/4s of Kafka on the Shore and it was pretty good, but my order of Infinite Jest came in and it took total priority. I looove that novel, it was completely amazing. It took my forever to get through though - I didn't finish it that summer since I started in August and then started it up again last August and finally got through it. But I totally recommend it, it's a very complex story about addiction and family dysfunction (and tennis!) with some really interesting characters. The writing is also superb (anyone else a David Foster Wallace fan?).

Oh, and I have read 'Fall on your Knees', it was beyond sad. I've been meaning to read some Mordecai Richler forever. I have a few unread novels on my shelf that need reading though - I may try Camus' The Fall since it's pretty short or maybe Lolita. I bought Freedom by Jonathan Franzen on a whim when it came out, has anyone read it?

I am totally procrastinating right now, gah.

Re: Canadian authors.

Martel is a Canadian author. So is Atwood (I remember others praising Oryx and Crake earlier in the thread). And Margaret Laurence. And Donoghue (speaking of which, she is one amazing woman).

I rarely read a book because it is Canadian though. I read Barney's Version and had no idea the author was Canadian. It was just a good, clever, creative book.

Having said that though, I agree with you in that I feel like Canadian authors don't get the press they deserve even when the books are good to read. A great resource for hearing about new books by Canadian authors is CBC radio. Every once in a while they'll feature authors and have them say short blurbs about their work. Also, if you go to your local library or visit their website, they should have a list of Canadian authors and you can do your research on who appeals to you the most.

You mentioned "The Birth House" by McKay. Fantastic book :) Fairly new as well. Was actually recommended to me by a midwife here, who was from Germany. She came here I believe in the 60s to practice. Maybe even earlier, and was puzzled at first about why midwifery was so behind here in contrast to Germany. She received death threats in the mail, and a lot of resistance by locals here. But, now she's the most respected midwife in town. She's come a long way. Midwifery has come a long way.

P.S. Not a novel. It's a blog, but it's hilarious! 27b/6

It's reading material though :P

David Thorne, the blogger, also has a book called, "The Internet is a Playground." Can't wait to read it.

if you want to reclaim some childhood fantasy, then read "The Bridge to Terabithia" or anything by E. Nesbitt

v

I disliked Life of Pi... I've read it twice now, and it was torturous getting through the second half both times. it's a decent enough novel, but receives undeserved praise in my opinion.

why is there no love for more Canadian authors in this thread? try out "Barney's Version" by Mordecai Richler (and then watch the movie.. Paul Giamatti, Rosamund Pike, Dustin Hoffman, what else could you ask for?) or anything by Douglas Coupland ("jPod", "All Families are Psychotic", "The Gum Thief", etc...) for something more lighthearted. Ann-Marie Macdonald's novels are also amazing, especially "Fall on your Knees".

right now, I'm reading "The Birth House" by Ami McKay, also a Canadian, and it's about midwifery in the early 20th century... definitely captivating.

this is my favourite part of summer, catching up on novels!

• 2 months later...
+1

Also: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

Just finished that today. Honestly, I didn't like it much. I wasn't a huge fan of the style and the narrator/main character just annoyed me for some reason. Plus, the whole story didn't really seem to have much a point..it was more of a mini-story mixed in with random facts (which were pretty cool though).

Watership Down by Richard Adams... I read this for the first time when I was a kid and was sad for days after I finished it because I wanted the story to go on and on...

+1. Absolutely loved this book. I'll admit I also watched the animated series they had :D

Recently just read:

1984 - George Orwell

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Currently reading:

We - Yevegny Zamyatin (Supposedly the book that 1984 & Brave New World was supposed to be based on)

I read We a few years ago - I remember really liking it (you can definitely see the influence it had on Orwell and Huxley). 1984 is my favourite out of the 3 though.

Archived