Premed 101 Forums

Kill the TV: Suggestions for Reading Material

AdamP

bonk-cover.gif

Bonk by Mary Roach.

HILARIOUS book about the science of sex. She puts all sorts of personal comments at the bottoms of pages which really make the book.

She also wrote a book called Stiff about the science of death, but I haven't read that one yet.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonk by Mary Roach.

HILARIOUS book about the science of sex. She puts all sorts of personal comments at the bottoms of pages which really make the book.

She also wrote a book called Stiff about the science of death, but I haven't read that one yet.

I thought Stiff was equally as good, if not better, than Bonk.

It looks at a more serious topic, but still manages to maintain the hilarious brand of sarcasm that Mary Roach uses. And of course, the brilliant personal comment footnotes.

I would definitely recommend it!

"The Rape of Nanking" is also a pretty ground-breaking book by Iris Chang - in fact, I think this is her first bestseller on the topic. But I don't know if I'd recommend it unless you were specifically interested in WWII or history of Japan/China. It's definitely very disturbing. I had nightmares referring to some of the stories/images for quite a while, and some of them are still burnt into my brain.

I feel that not enough is known about this event, so that's why I am recommending it. But the book also made me think about aspects of medicine, especially parts describing the lone surgeon in the safety zone. If premeds are interested in doing work with MSF in the future, they have to not only be prepared for the stress of their work, but also to the stress coming from the environment. The brave surgeon described in this book is pretty inspirational. I don't know if I would have been able to physically stand up against rapists with guns while trying to treat victims who were nearly decapitated...

Oh, and I also had nightmares about the stories/images.

BUT, for reading that is not as dark, I enjoyed A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking! I would recommend it. :)

Love Chuck Palahniuk, his new book Pygmy comes out in about a month. Gavanshir, I agree about Gladwell, a lot of what he talks about I learn concurrently in some of my psych classes, but I appreciate his writing style. He makes sociology a helluva lot more interesting. I actually liked Complications by Gawande very much.

Can anyone recommend any humor books? I have never read one! Or a memorable one anyway...

Love Chuck Palahniuk, his new book Pygmy comes out in about a month. Gavanshir, I agree about Gladwell, a lot of what he talks about I learn concurrently in some of my psych classes, but I appreciate his writing style. He makes sociology a helluva lot more interesting. I actually liked Complications by Gawande very much.

Can anyone recommend any humor books? I have never read one! Or a memorable one anyway...

agreed, C.P. is cool, i've only read invisible monsters of his.

I'll have to take a look at his new one, i generally don't read much fiction. Just grabbed two books from the lib. the tipping point by M.G., and letters to a young contrarian by Christopher hitchens.

Anyways if you're looking for humor i found the entire hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series to be hilarious, only time I’ve ever laughed out loud while reading.

I like all of Malcolm Gladwell's books. He does use a lot of other peoples research but he cites them and presents them in interesting ways. One of my favs was from Outliers where he estimates that 40% of hockey players in the NHL have birthdays from January to March. Also why many asians are culturally predisposed to be better at math. I will leave you to read the book to discover why.

If you are brave enough I would suggest Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion". Also "Wikinomics" is a good one.

I'd like to note for all those interviewing for med school in the future that I found reading books of these nature help quite substantially. I think since last september I've read about 7 books (either by actual reading or by listening to audiobooks while on the bus) and during the MMI I drew upon knowledge obtained from these books at least in 3 different stations.

• 2 years later...

A River Runs Through It by Norman McLean (movie is different) - esp if you have brothers

Les Mis/Count of Monte Cristo - if you are looking for something long to lose yourself in this summer... I would like another one of these books if anyone has any suggestions for something long and involved!

The classics are so good!

A River Runs Through It by Norman McLean (movie is different) - esp if you have brothers

Les Mis/Count of Monte Cristo - if you are looking for something long to lose yourself in this summer... I would like another one of these books if anyone has any suggestions for something long and involved!

The classics are so good!

+1

One of the best books I have ever read!!! Don't be intimidated by the number of pages - you will swallow it in NO time.

I'm reading Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale right now. Slow going, it's a bit depressing. Great book though.

I really want to read Michael J Martineck's Cinco de Mayo. I heard about it on the radio and it sounds very cool.

Room by Emma Donoghue is awesome. I read it over my wife's shoulder. The blurb makes it sound really depressing, but it's not a heavy read and it's strangely heartwarming despite dealing with super heavy concepts.

If you want something lighter, you can't go wrong with anything by Terry Pratchett.

Also, if you haven't read the Gunslinger by Stephen King (and perhaps the series that goes along with it, although the first book is easily the best), you should. It is not anything like his usual stuff, don't worry. I'm not a King fan.

Finally, if you haven't read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you haven't lived.

I'm reading Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale right now. Slow going, it's a bit depressing. Great book though.

My favourite one of Atwood's is "Alias Grace", I read A Handmaid's tale too - it's good. She is a great writer but gotten too feminist in her later works for my liking (mind you I haven't read Oryx and Crake and the The year of the flood).

Room by Emma Donoghue is awesome. I read it over my wife's shoulder. The blurb makes it sound really depressing, but it's not a heavy read and it's strangely heartwarming despite dealing with super heavy concepts.

Sounds interesting. I mean the book does.

The whole Dune series is my all-time favorite series. I've read each and every book (the original 6 by Frank Herbert, but also the other 8? by his son) at least twice. I think the social/religious/political intricacies built into Herbert's universe are just fascinating.

Okay, I am going to write a few of my favs. A lot of these are classics, but I fall in love with them every time I re-read them. I've included some links, so you can click on the book title if you want to find out more about it!

"The Horse and His Boy" by C.S. Lewis (my fav book of all time)

I love kids books. This one is full of adventure and I've read it so many times I'm surprised the pages haven't torn out.

"How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman

Simply brilliant.

"Lolita" by Nabokov

"I am sufficiently proud of my knowing something to be modest about my not knowing all."

Parts of this book are very disturbing (ever hear of the term, "Lolita complex"?), but it's written beautifully.

"A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey

Screw the controversy. Just read.

"Life of Pi" by Martel

I fell in love with this novel last summer. You should too :)

"Choke" by Chuck Pahlaniuk

Not a fan of many of Pahlanuk's novels (tries to be so shocking that he comes off as incredibly predictable at times... I've read them ALL lol) but this novel had such an interesting concept.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."

Classic.

"The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Sallinger

"It's really too bad that so much crumby stuff is a lot of fun sometimes."

A book I read when I feel like it's me against the world lol.

"The Green Mile" by Stephen King

I read this when I want to cry. Very sad.

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold

Ashamed to say I bought this book because of the cover. But glad to say it caused me to read it :)

"Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown

My favourite of the Robert Langdon series.

Anything by J.K. Rowling

"The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Such a cute story about acceptance and transformation.

"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Can't go wrong with Austen.

"Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll

"Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and wimble in the wabe"

This book is nonsense. Thus, why I love it :)

Archived