Premed 101 Forums

below 9

Guest Mala2003

Guest Mala2003

I heard that U of T accepts students who have an MCAT score of below 9 in ONE of the subsets. Is this true? I didn't see this when I read their website. Is this a rumor?

Guest peachy

I have a friend who was accepted this year with an 8 in one subtest. He asked before applying if he'd have a chance, and they told him that he would be rejected outright because of the 8, but apparently not...

Guest Mephistopheles03

while u of t might interview students who receive below 9 on one of the MCAT sections, they would probably save this exception for those students that have really high gpas or lots and lots of research...just my guess though :)

Guest Ceeb23

Hey Mala2003,

I screwed up one section of my MCAT and scored an 8, however, I was admitted to U of T for this coming September. When I first got my scores, I pretty much discounted any chance of going to U of T, but after talking to a few people, I decided to apply anyway because I had a 4.0 GPA, extensive extracurricular involvement, and research experience. I guess I was just hoping for the best, and fortunately, it worked out!

Having just gone through the admission process, my understanding is that U of T is willing to interview and/or admit students with one MCAT section below a 9, granted they score well on the other evaluative sections of their application and have a strong interview (but if someone has the "official word," please correct me). If you think the other sections of your application and MCAT are competitive, I would strongly advise you to apply and give it your best shot.

Good luck!

Guest Mala2003

I certainly don't have a 4.0 GPA (only 3.86). But I do have extensive extracurricular involvement, and research experience. Should I even bother applying to U of T?

Guest Mephistopheles03

you should definitely apply! your gpa is plenty competitive and it may even go higher (have you factored in the u of t weighting scheme?).

besides, it won't be that much extra effort :) i basically started with my u of t essay and cut and paste for all of the other ontario schools.

good luck :)

Guest UTMed07

Someone at U of T meds told me they missed the cut-off by a couple of levels in one section. It is worth applying. If they don't have a change of heart on this, you have a chance. That said, you might want to seriously consider re-writing the MCAT; better scores can't hurt you. Also, if you missed U of T's cut-offs you probably missed the ones from Queen's and UWO, which AFAIK don't give you any way leeway.

I also know a person who got an 8 on verbal this year and was still interviewed at UofT. But that person did have a very high GPA and extensive research involvement. Still, it never hurts to try :D

Guest cheech10

AFAIK, it has always been UofT's policy to allow scores one point below the cutoff in an an MCAT section. No need for extra high GPA or EC's, etc.; as long as these were good enough to get an interview, the MCAT score was accepted as above.

Guest kernelhoover

I got an 8 in verbal and was accepted into the UofT M.D. program. However I did have 13 and 14 in the other two numerical portions of the MCAT. I must admit I was a little suprised to get an interview let alone a acceptance.

Guest Krish

No, only Queen's usually requires that the total numerical score be equivalent or greater than 30. U of T for this application cycle just required all 9s and N, but as mentioned some people got interviews with a 8 in a subsection.

Keep in mind, however, that these cutoffs are subject to change depending on the applicant pool especially for Western (Queen's though has this disclaimer, has not changed their MCAT cutoffs for a long time).

Good luck!

Guest batman

Although they say that cutoffs are subject to "change", it usually seems to mean they're subject to remain the same, or increase slightly. As mentioned before, this past admissions cycle U of T raised it from 8's to 9's across the board, and UWO raised both GPA and WS, and even Queen's raised their GPA slightly. Given the increase in the # of applicants each year (all trying to get high MCATs and GPAs), it seems unlikely for cutoffs to decrease - and if anything, will stay the same or continue to very slowly creep upwards to keep pace with the competition.

Guest Leester17

I applied to U of T this year with V8, PS9, BS10, WR, GPA adjusted of 3.86 and a lot of other extracurricular/community things and was admitted for this fall on June 1st. I would DEFINATELY still apply, I was not going to and it worked out for me in the end!

Good luck!

Guest Chieka

Congrats to you Leester17! It's good to hear another success story and to see further evidence that U of T is interested than more than just numbers. :D I'll see you in September!

C.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived