Premed 101 Forums

Best University for ''Fresh Start''

Hello,

I just finished my Bsc in Cell and molecular bio (with minor in chem) with a 3.22 cGPA and am so disapointed by the fact that my first two years dragged my GPA to the floor (2.6, 2.8, 3.33, 4.2). I want to start another undergraduate degre in engineering as I'm relatively still young (at least if I don,t make it into med I'll have an eng. degree). Every francophone school here in Québec take ALL your university level courses into consideration when determining your cGPA. I was wondering if there was a school that worked otherwise and say only considered the second degree grades or only the best years or so whatever will free me from this horrid academic past. I am open to travelling across canada but no US. I've looked into the web pages of many Ontario schools but would like to have a general idea from you guys as to where to look specifically. Thanks in advance :o

Life Science?

Id prefer a program where I could actually go into the work force with if ever I do not get in. Plus I study in québec, and I dont think there's such a thing as a life science prog (only physiotherapy or ergotherapy).

How about chiropractor school? They offer it here and I'm 99% sure Id get in.

But my question was what school to apply to in medecine that would forgive my crappy years. Through looking at the forum, I'm guessing Queens and Western are my best bets, right?

Ottawa U does a weighted gpa of your last three years where each most recent year counts for more. Most recent *3, second most recent *2, then third most recent *1, then averaged.

If you have all of the necessary pre-reqs, go for the easiest program that you are most interested in. Most schools like diversity, so gpa is waaaaay more important than degree program. Also, and easier program will leave you with more time to focus on interesting extra carriculars, which are essential for non-trads. A full time arts program like psych is only 15hrs/week, and the first couple of years are mostly multiple choice exams.

I did a psych and linguistics degree with 3 years of research in auditory neuroscience. The research years were crazy hard and gave me ample scientific background, but had little impact on my gpa. I worked in a lab with all life sciences/neuroscience students, but I certainly didn't have to put in nearly as much effort as they did to maintain a gpa over 3.9.

Ottawa U huh? Thanks for the input, I'll look into it!

No one can tell you what the best thing for you to do is, because it's your life. No one knows what things you like. No one knows what things you don't like.

That said, look at respiratory therapy. It's a degree program at Dalhousie, and in western provinces, and is a college diploma in Ontario. If you choose the degree program, you can work as an RRT while you apply to medicine. If you can't get into medicine, at least you're still a resp. therapist. If you choose the college program, you can upgrade your diploma to a degree at a number of different institutions across Canada (while working as an RRT), and then apply to medicine afterwards.

As for med schools, do some research on Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Queen's, and Western.

No one can tell you what the best thing for you to do is, because it's your life. No one knows what things you like. No one knows what things you don't like.

That said, look at respiratory therapy. It's a degree program at Dalhousie, and in western provinces, and is a college diploma in Ontario. If you choose the degree program, you can work as an RRT while you apply to medicine. If you can't get into medicine, at least you're still a resp. therapist. If you choose the college program, you can upgrade your diploma to a degree at a number of different institutions across Canada (while working as an RRT), and then apply to medicine afterwards.

As for med schools, do some research on Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Queen's, and Western.

I looked up the admission requirements and they take into account all the undergraduate courses completed (not a very good choice for a ''fresh start'')

http://www.normed.ca/education/ume/general.aspx?id=1236

I looked up the admission requirements and they take into account all the undergraduate courses completed (not a very good choice for a ''fresh start'')

http://www.normed.ca/education/ume/general.aspx?id=1236

http://www.normed.ca/education/ume/general.aspx?id=1260

Scroll down about half way to the question "I have two undergraduate degrees. How will my GPA be calculated?"

I'll save you the suspense. It reads:

For an applicant, applying as a Mature Student applicant, who has completed two undergraduate degrees, the GPA will be calculated on each of the degrees, and the best GPA will be used for scoring. This applies if the combination of degrees includes a 3 year degree in addition to the completion of a 4 year degree.

By "you guys" I assume you means the Queen's adcom, but on their behalf I'll answer: it means your two most recent academic years. So your 2007-2008 academic year, and your 2008-2009 academic year would be your two most recent academic years.

Thanks for the reply. So you mean they'll take winter 2009 into consideration even if it hasnt been completed yet?

They won't look at winter 2009. They only look at your two most recently completed full time years at the time of application (ie your 2nd and 3rd year average, if you're applying in 4th year).

Thanks for the reply. So you mean they'll take winter 2009 into consideration even if it hasnt been completed yet?

They won't look at winter 2009. They only look at your two most recently completed full time years at the time of application (ie your 2nd and 3rd year average, if you're applying in 4th year).

thats what I thought.

Thanks!

Look at Concordia University, B.Sc. in Exercise Science with Specialty in Clinical Exercise Physiology which as a Plan B leads to a Masters professional degree in P.T. or O.T. at McGill, after doing a Qualifying Year. Or, look to taking a course of study at McGill that will lead directly to the Masters program without a qualifying year.

All the above is based upon the premise that you may be interested in rehabilitation, but maybe you are not.

Archived