Premed 101 Forums

Western Medical science

Hi Raid Avatar!

I've been lucky enough to have been part of the Western Biomedical Sciences program in first and second year, which turns into Medical Sciences during third and fourth year. My opinion: It's a really awesome program.

What I found, especially last year when I was applying for med, was that a lot of the material learnt in the program prereq courses exactly parallels the material learnt in MCAT prep courses. The courses are incredibly diverse and interesting, as well as the professors who teach them. In general, as you approach 3rd and 4th year, many of the courses in different modules become research-based and allow you to have a more integrated role in your learning.

With regards to overall level of difficulty, I think that is an opinion which lies in the mind of the beholder. Every class I have taken in 3 years has had someone achieve 100% and someone achieve failing grades. Of course there are some courses which have less material or teach easier concepts, but overall I would rate the level of difficulty as average. The program is enough to challenge you and your learning potential, however it is definitey possible to do well in this program.

Hey! I am entering my fourth year in Medical Sciences and I agree with what snoopdog has said!

It really is a very diverse and well organized program. I wouldn't be able to compare the difficulty of the program to other schools because I don't really know what goes on there! But I can say that it is very possible to do very well in this program is you are willing to focus and put work into it!

My only negative with this program is the number of prerequisite courses...despite the listing of all those modules offered within medical sciences, you only get to take very few "specialized" courses related to that. The rest of the credits are numerous prerequisite courses that overlap on a LOT of material.

Ie. In 2nd year, I must have done DNA replciation and gene transcription at least 4 times.

But other than that, it is a great program! Just know that cut-offs are used every year so you gotta be on your A-game to stay in your desired module!

Archived