Premed 101 Forums

Success story

I dont post much on here, but I always liked success stories. So here is mine. I graduated with a BSc honors in molecular biology with a 3.89GPA 5 years ago. I wasn't sure what I wanted so I got a job doing research and moved on with my life. When my son was born 2 yrs later, I knew that I needed to decide where to go with my life. I took my time to decide and when he turned one, I decided to go back to my original thought and pursue a career in medicine. I started volunteering in different areas, and I applied to Ottawa as I hadn't written the MCAT. I knew I wanted 2 kids so I got pregnant again that October. I was happily surprised when I got an interview. My GPA was high, but that's bc I did alot of studying in the summers. My last semester I had 18 credits. But it was a summer semester. So my OMSAS GPA was low and the only way I got an interview was by applying to the french OOP part. I totally screwed up the interview and got a rejection. By that point I had been studying for the MCAT for 5 months, volunteering, renovating my house, raising my son and going through a difficult pregnancy. I wrote the MCAT and got a 27P. My daughter was born 3 weeks later and a month after that I filled my applications to Ottawa and UBC. I again got an interview in Ottawa, but nothing at UBC. This time, I felt the interview went well, but I never got off the waitlist. I rewrote the MCAT that September and got a 33O. I wrote it 3 days past the UBC deadline because the day that I was supposed to write it, my son was having fever seizures and I couldn't bring myself to leave him. I asked UBC to consider taking the second MCAT for this reason, but they wouldn't. I applied again anyways, having a much better application. I also applied to Calgary, McGill and UofM. I was born in Quebec but I now live in BC, so I have the IP advantage for both provinces. I got an interview at Calgary, UBC and McGill, in that order. Calgary went well, UBC not as well but still good and I aced the McGill interview. As alot of you know, when you start older and have to jump through loops, it's really discouraging. My greatest fear was to not receive an acceptance anywhere after getting so many interviews. But a few weeks ago, I received an acceptance letter from McGill. I am still waiting to find out from UBC and Calgary before we make a final decision, but I got in and that's what matters.

When I decided to apply, my life was not shaped around medical school, but with hard work and believing in myself, I did it. It is possible if you want it badly enough, if you can sacrifice alot and if you believe in yourself. Good luck to everyone who is waiting for Friday to come.

mmmh...I didn't know that although one doesn't reside in QC, they're still considered as an IP simply because they were born there....:rolleyes:

Actually, Quebec has a bunch of rules that allows you to be considered IP, and having grown up there and being born there is one of them.

UBC didn't accept my late MCAT. They took in my earlier MCAT. I was actually straight up rejected from UBC post-interview.

Anyways, McGill is a great school and I'm looking forward to it.

Actually, Quebec has a bunch of rules that allows you to be considered IP, and having grown up there and being born there is one of them.

Anyways, McGill is a great school and I'm looking forward to it.

McGill is an awesome school...I thought mcgill was out of my reach but now that I found out I'd have IP advantage there too, I'll definitely apply this upcoming cycle....sorry for derailing the thread...but yes your journey is very inspiring....congradulations!!!

________

MERCEDES-BENZ W136

Archived