Premed 101 Forums

laptops, pda

Guest Mephistopheles03

Guest Mephistopheles03

hi, i was wondering if some of the moderators could help me out on this. would having a laptop be beneficial for med school or do you find that your lectures have too many diagrams to copy that you would be better off with the old fashioned notebook and pen?

i've also met some students who have just completed 1st year meds and they swear by their pdas. apparently, they look up info on diseases that they face during clinical skills and...impress their prof, i guess?

as for me, i really want a laptop but i would prefer not to deal with the pda. any thoughts?

thanks

Guest cheech10

Laptops are not that useful in 1st year. We get a huge note package with all our lecture notes and diagrams at the start of each block. You only need to jot down a few extra points that your prof makes for clarification.

PDAs are ok, but don't really shine until clerkship. I didn't really see an opportunity to use one in clinical skills, but you may use it in PBL if your group is stuck or needs a quick bit of info.

My recommendation? Get a good desktop for home use and forget the rest. Then get a PDA for clerkship, as they are VERY useful then, from what I hear.

Guest Lakers4life

I cannot think of one reason to buy a laptop b.c you get most of the lecture notes and just add your own comments to them.

PDA's are cool but don't have any real use in 1st/2nd year.

Guest UWOMED2005

3rd year PDA's are useful - if you forget some little detail (ie the trade or generic name for a drug, or dosage) you can easily look it up on the spot without searching for the nearest CPS.

But you don't need them in 1st year. I bought mine Xmas 2nd year - late enough I'd get a decent model, but early enought I'd learn to use it and search for the programs before 1st year.

Guest Lakers4life

Hey UWOMED2005,

Really, PDAs are that useful in 3rd year? Damn, I was hoping to avoid buying one before clerkship b.c they are so damn expensive and I never end up using these hightech gadgets anyways. BUt from they way you describe them, it does seem useful...do you know the cheapest model that would suffice? I have heard memory is a big problem, how much would one need to feel safe?

Thanks..

Archived