Premed 101 Forums

for those that have the privilege to choose...

Rank (descending) % matched to first choice

Sask 96.7

Western 96.1

Ottawa 95.3

Calgary 94.8

Toronto 94.5

Dal 94.3

Manitoba 93.3

McGill 92.4

McMaster 91

BC 90.9

Alberta 90.8

Queens 90.6

MUN 89.5

Montreal 87.8

Sherby 83.9

Laval 83

wouldn't there be somewhat variable from year to year, depending on how many students pick family med as their first choice

This is almost entirely dependent on each student's ranking strategy and not so much on each school's education.

ie: at U of A lots of people go for more competitive residencies some years, so the first choice match rate is lower. If everyone wanted family, internal, etc. the match rate would be higher for that class.

ie: at U of A lots of people go for more competitive residencies some years, so the first choice match rate is lower. If everyone wanted family, internal, etc. the match rate would be higher for that class.

I don't know if that was suppose to be a hypothetical examples, but if it wasn't, it was way off. Calgary places just as competitively as Alberta, and last year U of A actually had a considerably larger proportion of people placing into family medicine than U of C. http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/16Proportion%20of%20Canadian%20Graduates%20Choosing%20Family%20Medicine%20as%20a%201st%20Choice%20by%20Faculty_en.pdf

I don't know if that was suppose to be a hypothetical examples, but if it wasn't, it was way off. Calgary places just as competitively as Alberta, and last year U of A actually had a considerably larger proportion of people placing into family medicine than U of C. http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/16Proportion%20of%20Canadian%20Graduates%20Choosing%20Family%20Medicine%20as%20a%201st%20Choice%20by%20Faculty_en.pdf

No, I didn't look at the stats from last year. I was trying to say that individual matching strategy matters more than the school you go to, which most people agree. Specialty choice is only one aspect of matching. I wouldn't say it was way off, even for 2008. U of A had more applicants to family, but also more for gas, emerg, surgery, optho, and U of C had more applicants for internal, as well as some other competitive ones. But I don't know which are the applicants that did something stupid (ie: going for plastics and only ranking two programs). This is an automatic huge fail.

Basically I'm saying choosing a school for its carms success is foolish, because if you suck you're not going to get plastics/optho/ent/whatever anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived