Premed 101 Forums

[Favour] I need your help with my career path!

Hey there,

I am student at local community college in Canada and I am planning to pursue a career in nursing (BSN) in a CC because I need a stable profession due to my financial situation as an adult. However, my strongest desire is to become a family physician and I feel it’s too overwhelming at my age to accomplish my goal. I am currently 21 years old without obtaining a degree anytime soon and I am somewhat desperate to make a right career path.

Here are my paths to follow:

Accredited University = UBC

Medical schools = UBC, etc.

Complete BSN (3 – 4 years) @ CC -> Clinical experience (2 – 3 years) -> Apply to medical school ** 28 years old est.**

OR

Complete Bs. Chemistry/Mathematics @ Accredited University (4 years) -> BSN @ Accredited University (2 years) -> Clinical experience (2 – 3 years) -> Apply to medical school ** 30 years old est.

OR

Complete BSN (3 – 4 years) @ CC -> Complete Bs. Chemistry/Mathematics @ Accredited University (4 years) w/ clinical experience -> Apply to medical school ** 29 years old etc. **

I have 2.60 GPA (30 credits) and repeating two courses (both Cs), I’ll be taking my pre-med perquisites at an accredited university.

I understand the consequences of getting a nursing degree, but I reasoned my decision in the previous paragraph.

I’ll be talking to the medical admissions if they accept CC degrees (ex. BSN). If not, then I need to complete another degree (crap)!

If you have any other suggestions let me know, thanks. I don't want to waste ANYMORE TIME!

Take courses in a program that would allow you to enter a career you would enjoy, should you not get into medical school. Of course it would be a waste of time to go through a nursing program if you wouldn't be content working as a nurse for the rest of your life. Pick the program that interests you most, as I don't think doing both is a good choice.

You mentioned that you want a stable career due to your financial situation, so in that sense nursing would probably be a better option as the demand is high and there are decent starting salaries right after you graduate. In comparison it seems that most of the good paying chemistry jobs require a Msc or PhD, and I don't know if that extra education would be a problem for you(if you didn't make med school that is).

BTW when you say Chemistry/Mathematics, do you mean a combined degree or that you would pick between one of the two? I don't know too much about job prospects in math so I just wrote about chem.

Good luck with your choice.

Sputnik, we “all” need a stable profession so that we will have financial security as an adult.

This should not be a motivation to pursue medicine. And yes, we all will not make it, so we all should reasonably have a Plan B in choosing our courses of study so that we are on a good path already should we not be accepted for medicine.

Your age is not an obstacle to anything, you are just 21, others have chosen medicine and been accepted at age 30 and later, etc., enjoy the journey and don’t consider yourself as desperate.

Uvic student says it well in the first 2 paragraphs. If your passion in life is to be within the healthcare system, a BSN makes sense as a fallback Plan B and this is what you would tell admissions. And while applying year after year to med., you could remain within the healthcare field, earn a good living and obtain more experience as a nurse or in management in nursing (e.g., Head Nurse).

There are people here who got in only after 7 years of applying, and obviously had to do something with their lives while continuing to apply to med school.

I am almost your age, will obtain my B. Sc. next year, if not accepted into med for 2010, I will do a qualifying year for a professional Masters in O.T. or P.T., apply again for 2010, if not accepted I will take 2 years for Masters and apply for med. for 2012, if not accepted, I will remain in healthcare and apply year after year, while enjoying being a PT/OT working with patients. So although I will receive my Bachelors earlier in age than you, it is a lottery as to whom, you or I, get accepted into med. first (and at what age) – or whether either of us make it. Your situation is not unique, reread uvic student, and go for it. Your 2.60 GPA and repeating courses is a bump on the road, you will need top grades to be a competitive candidate. Don’t become discouraged, I am from Quebec and attended Cegep (junior college) for 2 years where my grades would have indicated I was a candidate to flip burgers. At university, I do better year after, each year on the Dean’s List, I have no social life as my life is consumed by studies, assignments, more studies, ECs and volunteering (including EMS) and I have no social life but a path to a solid career in healthcare, either in rehab or as physician. Tale to admissions about the CC degree, and then carry on, make a plan and execute it. Don’t focus or be hung up on your age or the goal far off, Enjoy the journey, this is a marathon and not a sprint (to quote another member of this Forum) and you will make it if you are tenacious and determined,

The other day a 28 year old lawyer came here for advice. He wants to go into medicine, has no sciences, etc. and he wants the quickest possible path to med school. Age is just a number, with nutritional information and medical breakthroughs, we will likely live into our 90s at least, and so you get into medicine around age 30 and only practice for 40 or 45 years, is that so bad?

• 1 month later...

You two make good points. I don't know why I am so fixated in getting two degrees. I haven't been competitive all my life, so I want to make some darn good accomplishments since I am put in the best place in the world unlike other people who are less fortunate to live in countries who are filled with poverty and corruption and are unable to have education. I want to be able to use my education and pass it on by helping people in other parts of the country such as in Asia and Africa who need help. That's one of the reasons why I want to pursue a degree (chem or math are just examples, I would like to obtain a microbiology and immunology degree as my second major). Then again, I don't to overwhelm myself with academics because I too want a life in my twenties. What my rough idea is, I graduate with a nursing degree and work and attend school part-time, by that time, I will get my second degree in my late twenties. I'll be talking to an advisor or premed advisor to see what they think, but please, I would like to have some more input!

I checked the party scene, and I am not missing much. :)

Archived