Premed 101 Forums

Do you need to have a degree to be considered a 4th yr applicant?

KamG

Hi everyone. Quick question, I am entering my 4th year this fall and will be applying to a bunch of med schools this year. I was wondering if I need to have completed my degree by the end of the next spring semester(april) to be admitted that fall (2010)? Basically will it be okay to finish one last course the summer between 4th year and med school (if I get in). I know that people can apply without degrees in third year but if i were to do the class in that summer, will i still be considered a 4th year applicant. Thanks.

Im specifically looking at ubc, uofa, uofc, uoft, mac, uofottawa

Thanks.

anybody have an idea if doing a last class the summer before medschool is ok ?

I thought not b/c you need to send them your transcript before you shall have completed the summer course. Generally, I was under the impression that we need to be carrying a full course load throughout the normal academic year. I too will be graduating in May 2010 and I will be applying thru OMSAS in Sept, perhaps out West and to Quebec med schools in Jan. '10 for entry fall of '10. If in doubt KamG, I advise you to contact the med schools that interest you 'now' so you know where you stand and don't mess up, e.g., if necessary, thae that course during the normal academic year.

Thanks for the replies. I know we would have to send in our transcripts next summer possibly before I finish that last class, but do you even technically need the degree to get in. On every medschool website it says you need 90credits/3yrs etc not a degree. But the 90credits/3yrs requirement is just to be considered a 3rd yr applicant. My question is whether or not ill be considered a 4th yr aplicant if i finish the last course the summer before medschool. I contacted ubc and they gave me a generic "you only need 90 credits to apply" answer. Anybody else know? My only other alternative would be to take 6 courses in one of the semester's next year which i really dont want to do.

My only other alternative would be to take 6 courses in one of the semester's next year which i really dont want to do.

If I were in your shoes I would not be willing to gamble my life on some well meaning pre-med I don't even know who inadvertantly gives me erroneous information on an internet thread.

Look at the OMSAS Booklet and individual med school sites to determine when exactly you need to send in your transcript for your 4th year. This is essential information in your decision. And, if there is any doubt whatsoever, you need to obtain a precise answer in writing to a precsie question in writing from each med school that interests you. Otherwise, take 6 courses one semester and lighten the load with perhaps a couple of bird courses that particular semester.

For sure, you do not want to travel the road, get accepted and then run foul of their rules just as your crossing the finishing line.

The devil is always in the details. The onus is upon you alone to obtain the details in a timely manner. Good luck.

I guess i might have to suck it up and take 6 classes, still waiting for a couple schools to email me back with their answer. Has anybody else finished a class the summer before medschool? The 6 classes might have to be : physical chem, adv. thermodynamics, adv. analytical chem, quantum chem, metabolism, and linear alegbra ..... would rather move one of em to the summer if possible.

I guess i might have to suck it up and take 6 classes, still waiting for a couple schools to email me back with their answer. Has anybody else finished a class the summer before medschool? The 6 classes might have to be : physical chem, adv. thermodynamics, adv. analytical chem, quantum chem, metabolism, and linear alegbra ..... would rather move one of em to the summer if possible.

Holy crap that is a brutal semester, is it not possible for one of your classes to be in the spring side of things? Because then, you may get it done in time.

basically i have 11 course left to take next year to get the degree done. ill try to balance them but theyll still be hard since i have about 8-9 requred difficult upper div science courses (chem, math, bioc) to do. Thats why i was hoping i could do 5+5 then 1 in the 2 month session in the summer. Thanks for your answer future doc, tea hater

I am also in a similar predicament... i will be going into my fourth year next year but not graduating until after basically a full fifth year (changed majors). If i apply this summer am I basically on the same playing field as third year applicants? Or is there some other distinction.... just wondering if anyone knows or has been in this situation.

yea hard to say, nobody here seems to know, i emailed a bunch of schools and will post when i hear back. unfortunently, only one responded with a generic response that didnt answer the question. I changed majors too, and now have 11 courses to do next yr.

yea hard to say, nobody here seems to know, i emailed a bunch of schools and will post when i hear back. unfortunently, only one responded with a generic response that didnt answer the question. I changed majors too, and now have 11 courses to do next yr.

I think future_doc mentioned this but it is really school specific - some don't care, some do so you have to read the OMSAS manual to be clear on it. Western and Toronto for one mention specifically you need a degree (and if that takes your longer than 4 years for whatever reason so be it). U of S doesn't need one, nor does Queens, Ottawa, or Mac. NOSM is a bit fuzzy in the manual but the website says:

Candidates must meet the following requirements to apply for admission to NOSM:

A 4 year undergraduate degree *

Canadian citizen or permanent resident (landed immigrant) status

An minimum grade point average of 3.00 on the 4.00 scale

* Mature applicants (25 years of age or older by application deadline) may apply with a 3 year degree

Please visit the General Academic Requirements section for more information.

Key works are bolded, you seem to require a degree of some sort so this implies you have to graduate

That's it for Ontario :)

yes i understand i must have a degree, my question is does it need to be by the time offers come out or can it be before medschool starts

by the time the transcipts are due by the particular school. At western that is June 30 for instance.

As a rule I would say not before you start, it must be earlier. That way they have reasonable time to replace you with someone else if you fail to graduate.

Archived