Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD, any news?

Guest Biochem10

Guest peachy

Thanks Kirsteen!

U of T was actually the only MD/PhD program I applied to, so it's definitely my top choice ... they'll be getting my $1000 (yikes) deposit come May 9th. ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Coolness!

That's really great that you also receive word early and don't have to sit and wait for the beginning of June. What a bonus. I'll be applying to a number of MD/PhD programs this coming application cycle, and UofT will be among them, so I'm looking forward to your lowdown on the program once it's in full swing.

In any case, I hope you're making some plans of celebration, and have a brilliant summer!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Biochem10

Oh my God Peachy, I'm soooo happy for you, I know how badly you wanted this. I didn't receive anything in the mail today, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's because I'm in Montreal :o Anyway, no matter what happens at least I know that the letters have been sent--thanks so much for posting, it'll be really exciting if we get to be classmates.

Guest Chieka

Peachy, would yours be the first premed101 Canadian acceptance of the 2002 application year? ;)

Congratulations - you must be be so delirious! Now, to wait for those other acceptances...

C.

Guest McGill03

That's awesome, peachy!

Thanks for letting us know they're in the mail...

Biochem10: This is going to be a LONG weekend. I wish I gave them my Toronto address!

Guest peachy

Kirsteen -- I totally appreciate getting to hear this early! :) It was so hard to wait THIS long, I can't imagine having to wait until June.. I don't know how much we'll get to find out about MD/PhD in the FIRST year, but for sure!

Jss02 - Thanks! :)

Chieka - Thanks and lol! :) First Ontario one, maybe! (People from some of the Eastern and Western schools have heard already, I think.) I totally recognize how lucky I am to hear this early... :) Delirious is the exact word!!

Biochem10 - Thanks! Yes it would exciting to be classmates. :) At the interviews they were pointing out that we're stuck with our classmates for SEVEN years (as opposed to the MD-only folks) .... ;)

McGill03 - Thanks! :)

Re: letters: I think I was just lucky to get it before the weekend and most will find out Monday or Tuesday (this is why things should always be mailed FRIDAY or MONDAY ;) ). I've a friend in Toronto who hasn't heard yet either.

I'm feeling very smiley... :):):) ... I put my letter in a page protector, and I've been carrying it around with me. ;)

Guest Biochem10

McGill03, yeah, tell me about it, what a LONG weekend, I can't wait for Monday to come. I've got an exam tommorrow and I just can't concentrate!

Guest Chieka

Peachy, your post is too cute. :):):):) smiley, smiley, smiley :)

A page protector, eh? That is hilarious!

All the best (and extra doses of patience) to those still waiting!

C.

Guest Beachcomber4

Congrats Peachy,

I have heard nothing yet from U of T...I got accepted to Western MD/PhD but the wait from U of T will continue...

Guest Biochem10

Hey Peachy, I was wondering, what exactly does it say about funding in your letter? I was under the impression that we would only talk about that later in September or something.

By the way, nothing was in my mailbox today, so I had to call the office because I'm so stressed about it. Apparently there have only been 3 acceptances to date, so congrats for being in the top 3! Hopefully I will get good news in the next round of offers!

Hi peachy, Biochem10 and others:

I was curious about the funding issue for MD/PhDs. I always figured that I was going to do both at some point (although have only been toying with the idea of doing them concurrently). If by doing them at the same time (rather than in a serial manner) the PhD AND MD programs get funded, well, it makes that option a lot more interesting.:P At this point, I am just thinking about next year, but what can you guys tell me about the way this program works?

Thanks for the info!:D

BJ

Guest Biochem10

Hi bj, the funding is variable depending on if you're offered a partial tuition scholarship and what kind of stipend you get for your PhD. As it stands now, CIHR MD/PhD stipends are for 6 years, so if you do a 4-year PhD, you get your clerkship years paid for. You are responsible for the first year and half of med school tuition, however, there are also scholarships that can cover some part of it, but these are not guaranteed. I haven't got in (yet), so I don't know that exact details, but it certainly seems like a good option (in terms of funding) to a program like this.

Guest peachy

Hi bj,

Biochem10 pretty much said it. I don't have much to add except that I really don't think the funding is a good reason to do an MD/PhD instead of following a sequential route. It's about the same level as you'd get from doing the straight degrees, I think. Maybe give or take a few thousand, but it's not clear to me that the MD/PhD route saves any money at all. It would depend on eligibilty for TA'ships, etc.

peachy

Guest Lactic Folly

So what would be some good reasons to do MD/PhD instead of MD then PhD? Could it mean increased competitiveness for residency, or some other advantage in starting an academic career due to the timing of the degrees?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Another reason: you may currently be involved in research; veering out of the research world into 3-4 years of straight medical school would land you in a position where you would be pretty out of touch with your field, were you to enter it again 3-4 years later. As to residencies, sure, if you have a clue as to which area you'd like to practice within prior to embarking upon your PhD research, then having the PhD will not hurt in securing your residency spot of choice; the problem though: determining that specialty before hitting the clerkship years of medical school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest peachy

Yup, I want to do the MD/PhD concurrently basically for the reasons stated so far. I don't know what kind of residency I want to do, and I can't imagine deciding that before doing my PhD. Also, although I hope to have an academic career, I don't really know how one goes about doing that. I feel that being an MD/PhD student opens up resources (like the MD/PhD office) that can help me figure out how to push my career in the right direction. Also, the U of T is a great place to do my PhD, I have the opportunity to do it now, I know I want to do it eventually, so this just seems like the perfect time.

Archived