Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD, any news?

Guest Biochem10

Guest Biochem10

I'm posting this to see if anyone on this board has heard anything post-interview regarding acceptance to the MD/PhD program. If you or a friend of yours has heard anything please post, I know some acceptances went out around the middle of March last year, so far I haven't heard of any acceptances being sent yet this year. The wait is unbearable.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peachy

I've heard nothing. You're right, this is totally unbearable. I wish they would send out rejections! Better that than waiting.

[i've basically convinced myself at this point that I "failed" the MD portion of the interview, so that the MD/PhD decision won't matter :( ]

Guest Biochem10

Peachy, don't say you "failed" the MD part... I'm sure you're just being paranoid! I know how you feel though. Daily I think about my interviews and the answers I gave and think "wow, those answers are really stupid--they'll never accept me". Anyway, I think the stress is getting to us. Time to relax--I keep telling myself to not think about it, but that's impossible.

Guest peachy

I know what you mean. I totally want to ignore this - there's way too much going on at school and in life to obsess over this, but it's so hard not to think about it!

To comment on your original post, there was one other person who posted originally - Lacasse - if you're still reading, it would be nice to hear from you :)

Otherwise, there are only twelve of us, and I'd be surprised if any of the other nine read this board, based on the small number.

Guest laccase

Yeah I'm still reading this forum :)

I haven't heard anything from the MD/PhD office either.

Can't you call the office and ask? I thought that might be a good idea.

goodluck everyone!!

Guest Biochem10

Well, I guess this is good news, may be they haven't sent any letters out yet? I just checked my mail mailbox and was delighted to see a white envelope--too bad it was my phone bill >: . Well, I'm thinking of calling the office and seeing if they've made any offers--I think knowing something would clear my mind.

Guest Biochem10

No, the second batch of interviews are the weekend of March 29th, but last year, the first offers of admission were sent before the 2nd batch was even interviewed. I know two people who were accepted in mid-March last year, but they ended up declining the offer to go somewhere else.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey Biochem10,

The two folks that you're talking about who declined UofT, did they accept MD/PhD positions elsewhere? If so, do you mind if I ask where?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest peachy

Think there's any chance they extend offers first to those they know have applied to US schools? I think I'm grasping at straws now. :lol

Btw, Biochem, do you know how the two who got early offers were contacted? Snail mail, phone, email?

Guest Biochem10

Peachy, I think they were contacted through snail mail. Ummm....perhaps they will notified students who applied to states first, they did ask were I applied in my interview.

Guest Biochem10

I couldn't take the wait, so I summed up some courage and e-mailed Sandy to see whether any decisions have been made. I've been having a hard time trying to get my life in order while waiting for these decisions, so I just need some kind of indication of when to expect answers. Anyway, I haven't received a response yet, hopefully they won't think I'm really annoying. I'll let all of you know if and as soon as I do hear anything. Happy waiting!

Guest Biochem10

Whew...sigh of relief. Sandy said that decisions will be made at the end of next week. After reviewing the candidates from this weekend's interviews. She didn't say whether any acceptances have already been given out, but it didn't sound like it. Looks like we will know in two weeks! At least I won't be obssessively checking the mailbox until then. :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Last week I attended a lecture that was held in the conference room next door to the MD/PhD office. We had to wait to enter the conference room since there was a meeting in progress. When they opened the doors a whole host of MD/PhD committee-like folk emerged. It certainly seems like there's some major action going on there!

Good luck to you all,

Kirsteen

Kirsteen Did you interview anywhere this year (or are about to interview)?

I really hope things work out for you. You are quite the trooper :)

Are you currently working full-time while completing that Epi degree? If you are I'm sure that is quite a chore!

With such a deep and expansive background that you have, MD/Phd programs would probably love to have you in the US. I believe the stipend that most schools provide for such programs would also cover living and tuition costs, rendering the degrees essentially free. Perhaps an avenue to consider for you.

Take care Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there j282,

Thanks for your post. :D Nope, no interviews for me this year, but there's always the next!

As to working full-time and studying full-time, I decided to give that practice up last May in lieu of school and part-time work (as a research assistant). Good decision, since my current academic and associated activities are demanding long, long days.

I'm really not very familiar with the US MD/PhD programs aside from taking cursory looks at the Harvard, Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, UNC Chapel Hill, etc., web pages and requesting some information. I need to finish up all the exams and papers first and move onto more concerted efforts in those respects, afterwards. From what I've seen though, I do like the looks of the US programs and am hoping to go down this summer to test-run some Epi courses at Hopkins. As to stipends, I'm not really aware of what is available. Can you tell me more? How ubiquitously do they hand those out? (From what you're saying it sounds like a lot of money!)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peachy

... so MD/PhD interviews are now completely done. First-round acceptances are probably in the mail. Is anybody else going crazy once again? :\

Guest Biochem10

Yes, I am going crazy, but at least I have my final exams coming up to take my mind off things--ahhh! Hopefully there will be some news this week, but I heard that a lot of U of T Faculty (those who work in the hospitals) had the week off because of SARS, so who knows if there will be any delays. The wait continues...

Guest peachy

I was totally sure that nothing would come today... and lo and behold, there was a thin envelope in my mailbox! :) I'm in!! :)

Biochem10, I really hope that you've gotten good news or that you get good news soon!! (and that you're just not as geeky as me, checking this board the same day ;) )

Hope it doesn't depress any of the other MD/PhD folks who haven't heard yet to read this, I wasn't sure if I should post, but I figured that I would want to know that letters had been sent...

Archived