Premed 101 Forums

Feasibility of a 5th year?

AG22

Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice for me about sticking around and doing a 5th year in University?

I have realised that I don't have all the prerequisites that would enable me to apply to OOP schools. For instance, I need Eng, physics, and biochem. So I was contemplating sticking around for an extra year and picking up these pre-reqs. Next year, is my final year but if I choose not to graduate and return for an additional year, is that considered "taboo" by the admissions committees? I have no idea :o So I'd appreciate your thoughts!

If that is considred taboo, then I was thinking of perhaps overloading in my final year and ensuring that I graduate with all my degree requirements completed (like my honours thesis etc) along with taking all the prereqs for med schools.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated!! Muchas gracias :D

The answer to your question is going to depend a bit upon what schools you're considering.

The simple answer, though, is: No, it's not considered taboo. I did my undergraduate in 5 years, in order to complete my thesis and get all my pre-reqs done. And I'm starting med school this fall.

Just make sure you keep your GPA up, and take a full course load all semesters.

Overloading your final year is a possibility, but I wouldn't suggest it personally. I considered it, when I was facing the idea of yet ANOTHER year of UG. But I decided taking that many courses could only have bad outcomes. Either I would maintain my GPA and be totally burnt out and have no life, or I would have a bit of a life, and my GPA would fall.

If you can motivate yourself through another year of UG, take a full course load to get the pre-reqs you want, AND have a decent life on the side, go with that :P

Looks like you may have posted to the wrong forum :)

You need to be somewhat careful about doing a fifth year, particularly if you want it to count GPA wise. Some schools have rules about the types of courses you can take in senior years (cannot all by first/second courses which prereqs usually are). Western has specific rules as well.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any advice for

me about sticking around and doing a 5th year in University?

I have realised that I don't have all the prerequisites that would enable me to apply to OOP schools. For instance, I need Eng, physics, and biochem. So I was contemplating sticking around for an extra year and picking up these pre-reqs. Next year, is my final year but if I choose not to graduate and return for an additional year, is that considered "taboo" by the admissions committees? I have no idea :o So I'd appreciate your thoughts!

If that is considred taboo, then I was thinking of perhaps overloading in my final year and ensuring that I graduate with all my degree requirements completed (like my honours thesis etc) along with taking all the prereqs for med schools.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated!! Muchas gracias :D

Hey rmorelan, if I already have two years of undergrad above the 3.75 cutoff and want to do a 5th year just to do 2 prereqs, not part of my degree, does it matter for Western? They would just take my best 2 years from undergrad right?

Also, does anyone know if doing only a few extra courses in a seperate degree would affect the UofT weighing formula? So for example, I just finished my undergrad degree and took 5 courses every year and now I only want to take 2 courses (Eng & Biochem) during the fall. So this wouldn't be apart of my degree, but would it disqualify me from the weighing formula? Thanks!

I am taking a fifth yr to take physics, english...not a full load..and Western said it would be fine..and not counted.....as they are first year courses.

I do not know about U of T..

If I recall Toronto does not consider non full time years in their GPA calculation :)

Hey Addy K and Terryann,

seeing as you're returning/planning to return for a 5th year...is that within your degree? Or did you graduate but are returning for an extra year? What I'm getting at is this: when one returns for an extra year after graduating, don't they have to be registered in another undergrad degree?

My academic advising office suggested that I graduate, and do another undergrad degree, but this time in the arts and then take the necessary prereqs. Their reasoning was to show the adcoms that i'm not just "fooling around" trying to pick up pre-reqs but rather am a dediated student. :P I actually only just want to pick up the bloody prereqs!! :eek:

So I'm quite confused about this whole 5th yr thing...how do you guys manage to come back after graduating, without enrolling in a separate undergrad? UNLESS, you're not planning to graduate at all and are coming back for a 5th yr within your first undergrad? HELP!! :confused:

At most (all?) school people post graduation can continue to take courses as a non-degree student. Happens all the time :)

Hey Addy K and Terryann,

seeing as you're returning/planning to return for a 5th year...is that within your degree? Or did you graduate but are returning for an extra year? What I'm getting at is this: when one returns for an extra year after graduating, don't they have to be registered in another undergrad degree?

My academic advising office suggested that I graduate, and do another undergrad degree, but this time in the arts and then take the necessary prereqs. Their reasoning was to show the adcoms that i'm not just "fooling around" trying to pick up pre-reqs but rather am a dediated student. :P I actually only just want to pick up the bloody prereqs!! :eek:

So I'm quite confused about this whole 5th yr thing...how do you guys manage to come back after graduating, without enrolling in a separate undergrad? UNLESS, you're not planning to graduate at all and are coming back for a 5th yr within your first undergrad? HELP!! :confused:

Hey Addy K and Terryann,

Hello there,

I can speak from my experience. I'm not a U of T student though.

I have had no issue enrolling in what would technically become a 5th year. For me, it's really only my 3rd full time year b/c I was a college transfer student (and then did a few credits p-t at uni b/f starting f-t). I chose not to "graduate" and, instead, I'm staying on and doing another major and minor.

You should be able to do this either way you like: graduate from your undergrad and do whatever courses on a post-degree basis, or, not graduate and do the courses within your degree.

If you don't like the way your school is set up, you can always do your post-degree courses at another uni.

Good luck!

;)

Thanks Halycon..

I am U of T...main campus...not alot of guidance available...I wish I had someone to give me direction..thank God for this site..

I could have graduated this June...and would be okay gpa wise for Queens and Western..3rd yr. 3.8, 4th year 3.89.....now it all depends on my mcat...and I have never taken physics...ahh...struggling at Princeton Review at the moment.

The fifth year is not going to change me cgpa alot....and I am not doing it for that reason...I was not thinking of medicine in first and second year..dahh..3.4, and 3.2.

I decided to postpone graduating to make certain, I could get the first year courses that I need for the US...physics etc....I really do not know what my chances are in Canada, my cgpa is poor....3.57...

U of T did not seem to think that I would be able to get the courses I need if I graduate...they suggested online...I heard, that the US schools do not favour distance learning..

I have been thinking lately of moving out West...to take the courses...but I do not know if one year would give me in-province...do you know? The negative part of moving would be ...I have been involved in my ec's here for three years...so it shows stability..

Whether this is the right path to take...I do not know...but I cannot apply to the US without these courses...so no option there...

I just find this so stressful...as I did not plan to go into medicine when starting university...and it is hard to make it up for two poor years, and missing courses......just trying to avoid another undergrad degree...

hi there!

You you are working on the MCAT right now (annoying I know, but I am sure you will do fine) and ready to apply to queens/western this fall. That sounds reasonable!

Your fifth year will not change your cGPA a lot, but it will let you also apply to Ottawa as your first two years will no longer count. That is good :)

Spend two years doing school there and you would be IP for many schools out west. That would only really help you apply to specifically that province's schools over what you can do now, so what schools did you have in mind? - Need to see if those schools use cGPA etc.

It is hard to make up for two bad years, but you are doing a great turn around here! Grades are up, EC are online, working on the MCAT, and you will even be hopefully applying to med schools this coming fall.

best of luck!

Thanks Halycon..

I am U of T...main campus...not alot of guidance available...I wish I had someone to give me direction..thank God for this site..

I could have graduated this June...and would be okay gpa wise for Queens and Western..3rd yr. 3.8, 4th year 3.89.....now it all depends on my mcat...and I have never taken physics...ahh...struggling at Princeton Review at the moment.

The fifth year is not going to change me cgpa alot....and I am not doing it for that reason...I was not thinking of medicine in first and second year..dahh..3.4, and 3.2.

I decided to postpone graduating to make certain, I could get the first year courses that I need for the US...physics etc....I really do not know what my chances are in Canada, my cgpa is poor....3.57...

U of T did not seem to think that I would be able to get the courses I need if I graduate...they suggested online...I heard, that the US schools do not favour distance learning..

I have been thinking lately of moving out West...to take the courses...but I do not know if one year would give me in-province...do you know? The negative part of moving would be ...I have been involved in my ec's here for three years...so it shows stability..

Whether this is the right path to take...I do not know...but I cannot apply to the US without these courses...so no option there...

I just find this so stressful...as I did not plan to go into medicine when starting university...and it is hard to make it up for two poor years, and missing courses......just trying to avoid another undergrad degree...

Oh thank you..you made my day...re: Ottawa with 5th year...

I am from Ottawa too...and would love love to go there...well anywhere..

If I recall people from Ottawa have a somewhat lower GPA cut off which would apply for you then (thats good!) Of course you should still try and get a nice high GPA (3.85+) in that last year. You should be able to structure such a year to have solid courses for that as you would have more freedom to pick courses that work for you :)

Like I said you are turning things around - opportunities are beginning to appear as a result for you to apply.

Keep the fight up, and best of luck!

From what I know, after speaking with a counselor, you can enroll as though you intend on completing a degree. Just take the courses you want, than leave - people do it all the time and from what the counselor told me, the university is well aware of it and don't really care..

Also, for UofT, I was wondering if taking less than 5 courses in a separate degree would affect the weighing formula in my previous degree... anyone know?

Hey Addy K and Terryann,

From what I know, after speaking with a counselor, you can enroll as though you intend on completing a degree. Just take the courses you want, than leave - people do it all the time and from what the counselor told me, the university is well aware of it and don't really care..

Also, for UofT, I was wondering if taking less than 5 courses in a separate degree would affect the weighing formula in my previous degree... anyone know?

Just don't technically be in any new degree for that year or Western will cause you issues :)

Good question about Toronto - nothing in the documentation says anything about it reseting. If the rules are applied as written taking less than 5 courses but still being full time would affect you. If you only have a purely part time year though I believe you would be safe. This is one of those things I would check on with them before attempting

Archived