Premed 101 Forums

2009 CARMS Results?

Took a look. From the stats, the matched seemed slightly less competitive in some areas but surprisingly competitive in others (at least to me).

I guess these were the popular ones this year based on the proportion of applicants who didn't end up with their first choice:

(most are perennial favorites though)

anesthesia

dermatology

emerg

OBGYN

ophthalmology

ENT

plastics

Why is ob gyn so popular all of sudden?

All hearsay, of course:

I think this goes up and down. Too lazy to look at the stats, but I remember a few years back a resident telling me that OB was not popular at all in her year. So maybe they've done a good job selling their specialty in the last few years?

I personally do not understand the attraction - this was probably the most unsatisfying rotations for me. One friend said she liked the medicine + surgical aspects of the field. It also pays very well apparently, especially if you get into the infertility/assisted reproduction stuff.

Why is ob gyn so popular all of sudden?

i think it goes up and down from year to year. like in 2010 match, some people may be deterred from applying to ob/gyn because of the competitive match this year. so 2010 it wont be as competitive. then in 2011, more people will consider applying since the match from previous years didn't look so bad...

and so on

dang why did rads have to be "easier" this year!!!

Archived