Premed 101 Forums

Understanding how U of T looks at the DAT

Hey all,

Relative newbie here, I have been reading the dental board for about a month or 2, and was planning on applying to UT and Western for next year (and will be DAT writing in November).

I am just a little confused as to how exactly U of T weights the DAT.

I have pretty much figured out that they ignore carving, Orgo chem, and analytical reasoning, but otherwise count AA and PAT.

But how is it weighted? Pre-interview, all they have is DAT scores and GPA, so it must be weighted pretty high. Does anyone know a percentage, even if it is approximate?

And, how does this weighting change post-interview? Does it drastically reduce?

Thanks to all for any help. My best-3-years GPA is 3.89 and Im sort of trying to determine whether I have any hope.

With a 3.89 you do have a good chance of getting an interview, and after that, it's all up to you and your eloquent tongue to woo the interviewers.

But... before you can get there, do well on your DAT. There's no need to write the American DAT with orgo and math on it unless you want to apply to American schools as well. In either case, if you live in Canada, you have to take the Can. DAT to apply to Canadian schools (or at least, that's my understanding).

Think of the DAT as more of a cut-off than a 'percentage weighed' for U of T. U of T weighs the DAT 10% overall when considering your admission, but it doesn't specify how heavily it's weighed in determining who gets an interview. Aim for >20 on every section, but I got an 18 on the PAT and got in as well. <16 on any section will pretty much definitely exclude you from getting an interview.

Archived