Premed 101 Forums

Advice: check your credit rating!

Yup, I got mine before I went to the banks for LOC/mortgage issues.

The worst thing to have on your credit, btw, are missed payments. Total debt is less important (although they like to see that you are not abusing your credit on revolving loans, i.e. credit cards).

Smile is right...I paid about $24 to get mine from Equifax.

I have a surprisingly low score for someone who's always paid her bills on time (bottom 20%), but I was told that for loans that are backed by something, like mortgages, it doesn't really matter what the # is as long as there are no late payments. I was told not to worry about it for my LOC, either.

Your credit score drops due to some pretty surprising stuff. I knew my # wasn't gonna be crazy-high due to the fact that I've only lived in Canada for 3 years, but I was still shocked how low it was. I talked to the banker at RBC about it and he said that 2 major reasons why your score drops is working at the same job for less than 5 years (a situation most incoming med students are in) and living at the same address for less than, I think, 3 years (or 5, not 100% sure). We're talking like a 100-point drop for each of these 2 things.

Archived