Premed 101 Forums

Starting to study for the DAT...

Hi, I finished my 1st year at UWO, and next year going to BMSc module biochemistry...

Studying for the DAT right now, I'm just using my sister's old 2006 princeton review for the MCAT (Biological sciences) before going to get the Kaplan from chapters or amazon. I'll have to order a carving kit soon too, to practice... any more advice on books and stuff? I read that the perceptual part of the kaplan was way to easy...

Also... Wwhat I want to know is, when studying for the DAT, were any of the first/second year textbooks useful? Or were review books good enough to get you through the DAT (with a science background, did all sciences through high school and doing a biology undergraduate). I kind of want to know this, to see if I should resell my year 1 textbooks, or keep them (in case uwo busts out with a new textbook list after the coming year!!!)

Especially helpful if you're doing/have done undergrad at uwo, then yeah you understand why I want to get rid of these biology textbooks that did NOTHING to help with first year bio.

I am quite certain that the any stuff u learned in intro bio should be more than enough to help with your general knowledge. Provided you remember everything

I think that if you use review books, either Kaplan or Princeton, then you're set

My single biggest piece of advice...do NOT underestimate Reading Comprehension. It isn't that bad and it is also calculated as part of your Academic Average score (AA) as well as having its own score (RC). None of the others are like that and so if you can do well in reading comp it can help boost your AA also. However, it depends on what school you are applying to as to how exactly they weigh the different scores in your overall DAT score.

Archived