Premed 101 Forums

Does Med School look at the Overall or ONLY Pre-requisites GPA in College?

So do med schools only care about the overall marks of all Prerequisite courses for med shcool,or do they also look at yout GPA for every academic term at college? Cuz, my overall GPA in the first year at College is 2.7/4, and I have failed a course. Does my first GPA still matters if I've boosted the Overall GPA in the next 3 years? Also if I've picked courses like A Second Language or Drama which are not revelant to Med Pre-requisite, would they be taken in to calculate my acceptance GPA?

Thanks a Bunch for answering!!!:)

So do med schools only care about the overall marks of all Prerequisite courses for med shcool,or do they also look at yout GPA for every academic term at college? Cuz, my overall GPA in the first year at College is 2.7/4, and I have failed a course. Does my first GPA still matters if I've boosted the Overall GPA in the next 3 years? Also if I've picked courses like A Second Language or Drama which are not revelant to Med Pre-requisite, would they be taken in to calculate my acceptance GPA?

Thanks a Bunch for answering!!!:)

Hey there, thanks for the post. Given that a lot of schools look at ALL of your grades (with only 3 - 4 exceptions), a lot of your options are already gone. Even if you were to get a 4.0 in the next 3 years, your end GPA will only be a 3.68, which isn't competitive anywhere.

I'd start hedging my bets if I were you, and start making alternate plans.

Hey there, thanks for the post. Given that a lot of schools look at ALL of your grades (with only 3 - 4 exceptions), a lot of your options are already gone. Even if you were to get a 4.0 in the next 3 years, your end GPA will only be a 3.68, which isn't competitive anywhere.

I'd start hedging my bets if I were you, and start making alternate plans.

I dont know if you are implying he should change career plans, because he/she still has a shot.

Western views your best two years.

Also, American schools dont have high strict GPA cutoffs like Canadian schools, so that is another option.

Good luck.

The OP does still have a shot, but like w8 said, 3.68 isnt very competitive. You'd have to nail the MCAT, and have some impressive ECs to make it to the interview. Only a few schools will just drop your first year. American schools do have lower gpa requirements, but applying as an international student already puts you behind.

Finish your undergrad with a 4.0, get 34+ on the MCAT, and do lots of ECs.

And btw, if you just finished first year, and you're looking to get into med right after your undergrad, you only have 2 years to boost your gpa, which will bring your gpa to a total of 3.58 when you apply if you get 4.0 in both your second and third year. Fourth year marks dont count in admissions, and most schools dont consider summer courses. You might have to do a graduate degree before you get in.

Archived