Premed 101 Forums

Magnetism - extent of material on MCAT?

Everlast

I have been working through the NOVA physics book. So far I've found it to be quite good - not too much detail but certainly enough to get by on. Their review of magnetism was, however, surprisingly scant. It consisted of a brief discussion of the hand rules, and stated that the MCAT will only ask qualitative questions on the subject and that this would be sufficient knowledge. My Kaplan has an entire chapter on the topic, with a lot of equations to memorize. In your opinion is this needed, or is the NOVA approach sufficient? [This will be my second MCAT - last year my PS was a 9 (definitely did not know those equations for that one) and am hoping for a 10 or 11 (12??) this time around.]

I have been working through the NOVA physics book. So far I've found it to be quite good - not too much detail but certainly enough to get by on. Their review of magnetism was, however, surprisingly scant. It consisted of a brief discussion of the hand rules, and stated that the MCAT will only ask qualitative questions on the subject and that this would be sufficient knowledge. My Kaplan has an entire chapter on the topic, with a lot of equations to memorize. In your opinion is this needed, or is the NOVA approach sufficient? [This will be my second MCAT - last year my PS was a 9 (definitely did not know those equations for that one) and am hoping for a 10 or 11 (12??) this time around.]

with any chapter from the kaplan book you're never gonna get more than 3questions on it if any, to say that the question can only be qualitative might be a bit of a stretch though

Archived