Premed 101 Forums

Radiology: Do I really need to be among the best and brighest?

So, we know that Radiology attracts the best and brightest med students. But is most of this trend a function of the specialty's competitiveness or do you really need to be top of your class to do well in residency and, subsequently, your job?

Can we assume that, because we got into med school, we are "smart enough" to do well in any specialty? I'm thinking "yes," but I'd like to hear some other views on this.

^ I think most programs assume relatively equal intelligence, and therefore connections become important. Perhaps you mean connections to have a negative connotation, but it could also mean doing an elective so people know that you have a natural affinity and seem to be a good fit for the specialty and program.

Radiologists-to-be are usually extremely hardworking given the competitive nature of their desired specialty, but so are a lot of students. Many students don't do well in every single course and rotation in med school, but still manage to match to competitive programs (including radiology) because they do well in that rotation and/or on electives.

You most likely need to be good in your desired specialty, but you don't have to be perfect all-around.

^ I think most programs assume relatively equal intelligence, and therefore connections become important. Perhaps you mean connections to have a negative connotation, but it could also mean doing an elective so people know that you have a natural affinity and seem to be a good fit for the specialty and program.

Radiologists-to-be are usually extremely hardworking given the competitive nature of their desired specialty, but so are a lot of students. Many students don't do well in every single course and rotation in med school, but still manage to match to competitive programs (including radiology) because they do well in that rotation and/or on electives.

You most likely need to be good in your desired specialty, but you don't have to be perfect all-around.

i think it's more to do with how well they get along with you. they have 5 yrs to make you a solid radiologist.

Archived