Premed 101 Forums

1 hr 1/2 hospital volunteering interview today!!! WOW

I have a hospital volunteering interview today and they sent me an e-mail stating in it that the interview will most likely take 1 hour and a half! :eek:

I was not expecting it to be this long and this serious, so now I am starting to worry and was wondering if you guys know what they are going to ask me for an hour and a half! I need to prepare a little bit.

thanks a lot!

I have no idea, however, they will likely want to know about your background and motivation. So, as long as you are comfortable in your own skin and are able to genuinely let them know who you are and what makes you tick, you will be fine. Just shake their hands firmly entering the room, be personable, make eye contact and be yourself. Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about it. I went to an "interview" that was supposedly 1.5hrs long and the actual interview time was only about 20min. The rest was basically a tour, a lecture on their expectations, what they do, etc.

They'll probably ask you what kind of experience you have working with that population (e.g. children), and possibly concerns you may have, or what difficulties you expect to encounter. Just be friendly and honest, and you'll have nothing to be concerned about.

I wouldn't worry about it. Like an above poster mentioned, the interview will likely be fairly short and the rest will be tour, info, etc. Also, it's not like they're going to turn down someone who's willing to help out for free.

One thing you may want to consider is emphasising your wish to have patient contact (I'm assuming this is why you want to volunteer in the hospital). Otherwise, they may put you in a position with limited patient interaction (like putting tvs in patient's rooms, etc). If they know this, and you show genuine interest, they'll be more likely to put you in a position that you'll enjoy more.

Mine was about1.5 hrs as well.

Basically they asked me some "serious" questions (like explain my previous volunteer expierience, why I want to volunteer, etc); but a lot of "fun" questions too, (as in what's my favourite movies, hobbies, etc).

It's basically a long chat. Don't worry about it =).

Oh yea, I hated the process of becoming a volunteer, sooo long! At hopkins they made me watch 2 videos, participate in group discussions, do a pop quiz on HIPAA, and I don't even know what else! I didn't even do the whole thing cause half way through I realized I don't need to be classified as a "volunteer" to work in the lab. My god what a waste of time that was. :rolleyes:

ok so the interview went well and I got the position:) I will be a guide for the summer where I will greet people at the front door and direct them to their departments but then they said if I will prove my self, I can get a position in emergency room which provides me a much more exposure to patients, either way I am pretty happy. And you guys were right, they showed me 2 videos, gave me a tour, asked me a bunch of serious questions and some easy questions like tell us about yourself etc...

it went well over all.

Archived