Premed 101 Forums

Applying at the end of the 2nd year year

Hi guys, I am currently on path to doing a 4 year Biology major. I currently hold a 3.97 GPA. I am from Ontario.

I was recently told that it is possible to apply to a few medical schools, without a degree. I was very interested in the discussion, and thought it would be definitly worth while to apply.

The ones to apply to are McMaster, and Ottawa.

For Ottawa, the MCAT is not required, but they prefer if you give them your MCAT score, if you wrote it. Is this true? Can you "hide" the MCAT score? By that I mean, can they see if your wrote the MCAT or not? Can I do bad on the MCAT, and not have it shown on the application anywhere?

This question goes towards both schools: Do I have a realistic shot at getting in? Is it very difficult for 3rd year students to get in?

Besides my GPA, I am involved in two research positions, a vice president for a club, volunteered overseas, 100 hours in a hospital, Nursing Home, and a part of MANY volunteer groups in my home city.

Another question: If I do get rejected from both schools, are my chances slim to none when I apply again, during my 4th year? If they reject you once, do they reject you automatically again, or do they view you and see if you have improved at least?

Hi there! Ok, here is my understanding:

Ottawa does not use the MCAT in any fashion. McMaster does however use the V.R. component only, so you will need to release your MCAT scores, but again Ottawa does not use it.

It is "harder" for 3rd years to get in only because of the general life experience thing (which mac and ottawa do consider when granting interviews), but this is NO reason not to apply. At the VERY least it is valuable practice, and harder to get in does not mean can't get in :). Your GPA is high, your EC sound good..... My usual take is as soon as you hit the interview criteria you should probably apply, so in your case I would go for it.

Also being rejected doesn't generally impact your chances in any way, with the only exception I can recall being ottawa, as they only let you interview there at most 3 times. Overall at med schools each year is a clean slate - they don't have access/knowledge that you ever applied before :)

Hi guys, I am currently on path to doing a 4 year Biology major. I currently hold a 3.97 GPA. I am from Ontario.

I was recently told that it is possible to apply to a few medical schools, without a degree. I was very interested in the discussion, and thought it would be definitly worth while to apply.

The ones to apply to are McMaster, and Ottawa.

For Ottawa, the MCAT is not required, but they prefer if you give them your MCAT score, if you wrote it. Is this true? Can you "hide" the MCAT score? By that I mean, can they see if your wrote the MCAT or not? Can I do bad on the MCAT, and not have it shown on the application anywhere?

This question goes towards both schools: Do I have a realistic shot at getting in? Is it very difficult for 3rd year students to get in?

Besides my GPA, I am involved in two research positions, a vice president for a club, volunteered overseas, 100 hours in a hospital, Nursing Home, and a part of MANY volunteer groups in my home city.

Another question: If I do get rejected from both schools, are my chances slim to none when I apply again, during my 4th year? If they reject you once, do they reject you automatically again, or do they view you and see if you have improved at least?

I applied in 3rd year to uofCalgary and got intervied then waitlisted (still waiting). On the uofc forum there are a couple of 3rd years that got accepted so it might be worth a shot. I do think that it is harder to get in though. My stats were 3.93gpa and 36mcat and I am in-province if that helps. I just realized that you were asking about ontario schools, my bad, though i imiagine it is harder for third years over there aswell.

whether or not you get to the interview stage. At whatever stage you get to, you will be better prepared for applying next year. Moreover, it is a lottery and anything can happen at any time, so go for it!

This is soooo true! Apply for sure even if your only intent is to figure out the application process and know how to be even more competitive for next year!

This is soooo true! Apply for sure even if your only intent is to figure out the application process and know how to be even more competitive for next year!

Yea this is true, it might make you understand the process better. There are a couple disadvatages though, for one you will have to get reference letters from some people and then if you dont get in you'll have to do so again the next year (probably from the same people). Also, interviews take place near midterm/final time and you might have to travel all over which can be time consuming. Your 3rd year marks will count when you reapply so you have to be careful with this. So, i'd only apply if I thought I had a realistic shot.

.....So, i'd only apply if I thought I had a realistic shot.

Applying early on is iffy at best, it is an uphill battle - but that should not deter you. And part of the process is being able to ask for a "strong" LOR (it is useless if it is not strong) and if the potential referee looks uncertain, don't use them. Also, you may find that the occasional referee will ask you to prepare a 'draft' for consideration. You need to be organized and bring to the potential referee your CV and Transcript so they know precisely who you are ansd what you have accomplished, this is true particularly for a prof who may not know you all that well. I don't think the fact that you may need to go back to a referee, year after year, means anything as a referee onside will always be willin g to do thenecessary each year.

So, on balance and considering the lottery aspect, I would go for it if I thought I had the slightest chance. I did exactly that, did not get an interview but nevertheless, I learned so much and am much better prepared for the application process coming as I enter my final yerar of UG.

Ottawa does not require MCAT. They will not consider your MCAT score even if you send it to them. If you get a 5 on the MCAT, it does not matter. The MCAT is not considered at all.

For Ottawa, you are only permitted 3 interviews. If you are unsuccessful after 3 interviews, Ottawa will no longer consider you. However, if you do get an interview, your 3rd year status would not put you at a disadvantage because your acceptance is 100% determined by your interview score.

i'm not ontario, but i did interview at one ontario school this year and did apply to a few places out there. (am a 3rd year applicant). you never know what might happen plus even if you don't make it, the experience of the application and perhaps even an interview is going to help you tons the next time you apply. so if you do have some spare money (it does cost quite a bit to apply, since there's the basic application fees and also the costs of travel to the interviews) and time, i would definitely do it.

You can get in after 3 years, however I don't 2 would be possible since they required 15.0 credits, or the equivalent of 3 full years of university. According to OMSAS, http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/rc_omsas_e.pdf , 3 years is required. Glad to hear you're driven though, and I'm surprised nobody pointed this out already.

Edit: NVM. I thought they were applying after 2. Definitely apply in your 3rd, I got in and am definitely glad I gave it a shot.

Archived