Premed 101 Forums

Is McMaster life sciences a good place to get a high GPA?

savica

Then take honours biology for second year. is it super hard like Toronto... or...?

There is a common misconseption that going to a top school will get you a better chance to get good references and help get you into med school.

The reality is that med schools dont care at all what school you went to for your undergrad, so long as you have a top GPA. Secondly, professors at top research institutions tend not to care enough about the masses of students trying to get into med to write you a good reference. Even if they write you a reference, it wont be weighted more just because he is from a more prestegious school.

In my experience, go to a low profile school. Way easier to get a high GPA, and profs will be impressed by you easier, and write you better references. If you're sure medicine is your goal, go to a school like York, Guelph, or Brock. You might actually have a better chance.

I think you should go to the school that you think will give you the greatest overall quality and opportunities. This differs from person to person, depending on your interests in learning style. Some things to consider:

1. Am I excited about this school? The more excited you are, the more you will get involved, and the happier you will be.

2. How difficult is it to get a good GPA? For some people, taking an English degree at Harvard is a very bad choice for getting a good GPA, even though it's one of the best schools in the world.

3. How big are the class sizes? Some people thrive in small classes, some like large. Small class sizes can increase your chances of getting to know the profs, but with a bit of effort you can do this in large classes too.

4. What opportunities are there to get involved? Look for research, volunteer work, clubs, and/or job opportunities.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Jera

Archived