Premed 101 Forums

disproportionate class profile

I was wondering if there's a disproportionately high percentage of students in ontario medical schools who did their undergrad at so-called "easy" places (i.e. NOT U of T) and therefore managed to get higher GPAs? I'd love to look up the class profiles myself but I'm having trouble and I was hoping someone maybe had an obvious answer. Thanks!

this is a tricky statistic to look up.

Because you would need to know:

1.) the undergrad of all accepted appicants

2.) the number of students from that university who applied to the medical school you are looking at.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure you won't find it

Does it really matter? they all got into medical school so obviously they all meet the requirements...furthermore, med school admission is not based solely on GPA...you can have a 4.0 at the easiest uni or the hardest uni then bomb your interview and be rejected.

Besides, applicants should stop worrying about other people stats, it hinders more than it helps...do the best you can and worry about yourself.

Does it really matter? they all got into medical school so obviously they all meet the requirements...furthermore, med school admission is not based solely on GPA...you can have a 4.0 at the easiest uni or the hardest uni then bomb your interview and be rejected.

Besides, applicants should stop worrying about other people stats, it hinders more than it helps...do the best you can and worry about yourself.

double edged sword. Worrying about yourself means you should worry about beating the competition. Thus, you need to be concerned about statistics.

A lot of people on this site say "don't worry about anything else and just focus on you". What terrible advice. If people blindly aimed for what they thought was reasonable without knowing where their competition stands, they are gonna get a sharp kick in the face when they are rejected pre-interview for low GPA

yah i agree with being aware of where the competition stands..but i feel like a lot of people (on this forum especially) are border-line obsessive with other peoples stats...just because someone else has a 4.0 and got in doesn't mean that you will if you have the same grade.

I think that when some people focus too much on other peoples stats, it can take away from their own efforts to do well...for example, i had a bunch of friends in uni that during exams they spent so much time worrying about how much other people were studying and learning that they didnt study as much themselves...if that makes sense

yah i agree with being aware of where the competition stands..but i feel like a lot of people (on this forum especially) are border-line obsessive with other peoples stats...just because someone else has a 4.0 and got in doesn't mean that you will if you have the same grade.

It's true. At the same time, some people's lives depend on getting into medical school (or so it seems). I don't have incredible stats by any stretch of the imagination, but I know that somehow, someway I'll eventually force myself in through a med school's door! It's just a matter of when... :P There's no point in worrying about something you can't control. Certainly, be aware of the competition, but don't worry about it so much.

Archived