Premed 101 Forums

Units used in the MCAT

cnb88

I've been reviewing for the MCAT with "The Gold Standard MCAT" and it seems pretty decent, doesn't seem to go too in depth, but gives a nice review of everything- but I'm a little concerned... In the physics section it has questions in both imperial units and SI units and says that you'll need to be able to convert between the two. I'm really worried because I honestly don't think I would be able to use imperial units whatsoever (especially if I had to convert at all).

So instead of spending hours and hours studying and learning something when I don't need to know it, I'm going to ask here first: is this true- that knowledge of both SI and imperial units is REQUIRED for the MCAT, or is it just in SI units (or just imperial) or how exactly does it work, considering it is an American exam? Thanks!

I've been reviewing for the MCAT with "The Gold Standard MCAT" and it seems pretty decent, doesn't seem to go too in depth, but gives a nice review of everything- but I'm a little concerned... In the physics section it has questions in both imperial units and SI units and says that you'll need to be able to convert between the two. I'm really worried because I honestly don't think I would be able to use imperial units whatsoever (especially if I had to convert at all).

So instead of spending hours and hours studying and learning something when I don't need to know it, I'm going to ask here first: is this true- that knowledge of both SI and imperial units is REQUIRED for the MCAT, or is it just in SI units (or just imperial) or how exactly does it work, considering it is an American exam? Thanks!

I wrote it twice, and reviewed with Kaplan. I never saw anything other than S.I. units, or had a review section in my book on imperial conversions.

The website (AAMC) states that for the PS section you need to know:

The use of metric units; the ability to balance equations containing physical units. Conversion factors between metric and British systems will be provided when needed.

(note it doesn't say you need to be able to use imperial units, just metric ones).

That's all I could find.

Archived