Premed 101 Forums

"writing intensive courses..."

I was just reading the admissions requirements for Cornell and i came across this: "Writing-intensive courses: WCMC requires two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences (e.g., history, philosophy, anthropology), and one focusing on English-language literature."

Most of the humanities/social science courses that a science student can (as in without a whole load of pre-reqs) are not writing intensive no? If I don't have such a course, should I not even bother applying?

You can always take a couple classes during the year you apply or the summer before med school starts. Even if your school won't let you take writing courses, you can take it at another university or at Athabasca U (by correspondence)...it's not a reason to not apply.

You can always take a couple classes during the year you apply or the summer before med school starts. Even if your school won't let you take writing courses, you can take it at another university or at Athabasca U (by correspondence)...it's not a reason to not apply.

Keep in mind that at Cornell, you need to have your pre-reqs done by Jan 31 of the year you are applying (its in their application booklet on website --> stupid cornell)

Keep in mind that at Cornell, you need to have your pre-reqs done by Jan 31 of the year you are applying (its in their application booklet on website --> stupid cornell)

That's definitely not true, lol

They were willing to consider me without half my prereqs done at least.

I think in that case they're just trying to cut down on the number of applications.

Really? They had that requirement? I didn't even know that haha. I had a couple courses that did have significant amount of writing component, but nothing related to literature or social issues. However it seems they were considered as pre-requisites after I was accepted by Cornell, since they didn't mention anything to me.

But in reality, don't worry about your pre-reqs, the most important thing is get your acceptance. Once you are accepted, you will realize that suddenly the desire of the school of wanting you to go there just increased by 100 folds. Unless it is something totally unacceptable (like you faked your application etc.) they will do everything to ensure you pick them, a total reversal of fortune.

Archived