Premed 101 Forums

urgent: dropping courses in undergrad

Guest Chowchilla

Guest Chowchilla

hi everyone,

i'm taking a physics course right now here at uoft, and it's realllly dragging my mark down. i hate it, and i don't think i'll do any better.

the last date to drop it is feb 16. but before i drop it, i want to have some honest advice ... should i? what are the consequences on my meds application if i do so (i no longer have a full course load)...?

is it only uoft that cares about a full course load, or does it matter for other med schools as well?

much thanks,

chow

Guest cheech10

AFAIK, the only consequence at UofT is that they won't drop your lowest course marks any more (ever, no matter how many years you do). Also, you still need 15 courses to apply, so you may need summer school to make up for the dropped course. Other than that, I don't think there are any consequences, but call admissions to be sure. Not sure about other schools. Sorry.

This issue was discussed recently in the following thread, you should check it out:

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...D=72.topic

I don't want to repeat what I wrote there, but suffice it to say that not having a full courseload will disadvantage you at various schools, not just Toronto. Having bad grades will disadvantage you also.

It seems awfully early in the term to be saying that there's no way you can do better? Is hiring a tutor an option that is open to you?

Oh, I see. I still think that there's lots of time left in the year to catch up in most courses. Why did you wait so long for things to get bad? Are you failing the course, or just getting a C or something? Why is it impossible for you to improve?

(Those are some of the questions that I'd ask if you came to the advising centre at my school. You ought to find out what advising services U of T science offers and go make use of them! If not peer advisors, you must have an academic advisor for your faculty or college or something.)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Chowchilla,

peachy's on to something there with respect to the academic counseling resources offered by UofT. You could try asking the folks who run the first year physics course about resources that they recommend; or book an appointment with your college registrar (who can often offer helpful advice); or check out the following link for the UofT Counseling and Learning Skills Service:

www.library.utoronto.ca/c...entre.html

UofT continually blows me away with the diversity and depth of resources that they have to offer to support all areas of academic endeavour. I've often found that I've signed up for a workshop offered by one department or another and hoped that I'd learn just a little and that it wouldn't be too cheesy. However, the norm has been interactions with highly skilled and very informative individuals who can provide a wealth of insight.

Good luck with the physics, whatever route you end up choosing!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

If you drop the course, U of T will no longer use any weighting formula on you (i.e. they won't drop your worst courses). If you apply in third year then it wouldn't affect your weighted GPA, since they only do this for people who apply in fourth year or later anyways. I would check with each school individually because policies change, but in past years this wouldn't hinder your application to the other 4 Ontario schools, as long as you make up for the dropped course in the summer and try to keep a full course load later on (basically, the more years you have without a full courseload, the more trouble you're asking for). Are you in first year? At the time you apply you should have finished 10 credits if you do it after 2nd year, and at least 15 credits if after 3rd year. Also, UWO would not count this year as one of the two years they look at, since you don't have a full course load. As other people have mentioned, if your mark isn't too bad and you can find other alternatives (tutor, etc.) to bring it up then you should, but if you have (for example) a C or D in the course, I would seriously consider dropping, since it would significantly bring down your GPA. Especially since it's a full credit, if the two options are a 60 on your transcript vs. 4.0 credits completed rather than 5.0, I'd definitely take the latter option and make it up in the summer.

Hi Chowchilla,

If you're in PHY138, the class average right now is what, about 60? So they're going to have to bell up at the end of the year and your D might go to a C or your C might end up being a B. As Tawfiq would say, all tests will be normalized and remember they're dropping a test right, and we've only written two so far. If you get Bs or As on the next two your situation's going to change drastically.

Dropping a course is a major decision, make sure you think it through, talk to a councellor in your college's registrar's office, and talk to Tawfiq. Hope you make the right decision.

Good Luck on Thursday's test

OT6

Guest Chowchilla

you're taking phy138 too, eh? well, the avg for the first test was 57, and the second was 59...

thanks for the advice everyone ... i'm going to work my ass off now for the third test, see how i do ... and if i still fare badly, i'll have to consider dropping it.

boo for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chowchilla,

In case you haven't checked yet, the marks are up and the class average was a smoking 79%! 57% of the class got over 80!

Anyways.. good luck on making your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Yuan, please don't bring your grade 2 antics and attitude you display on the BIO150 board to this board. The moderators here have balls and they're not going to tolerate your crap.

hey, how long do you think I've been using Ezboard? I know how forum works, and this is a very mature forum, not some uncontrollable board with endless horny people.

Acount registered Dec30th 2000 btw, So yeah, I've seen stricter. no need for yo to lecture me. ;)

Plus I've been reading this a while now....Great forum. Still a couple years to go though...

Yuan, I'm glad to hear you only selectively spam message boards.

I completely agree with you about the value of this forum and it's such a great resource for Canadian premeds.

Kudos to Ian Wong.

Thank you for being so accepting. I didn't want to feel unwelcome. :(

Sorry for highjacking it just a little bit, Ian.

Regarding physics, I guess it's too late now.

But the class will end up with the same distribution as the rest of the arts and science classes. There is nothing to worry about, you should get about the same mark as your other classes after bell curving.

Archived