Premed 101 Forums

Question about MD-PhD program

Guest Lactic Folly

Guest Lactic Folly

In your applications/interviews, how specific do your plans for graduate work have to be? Do you describe your interests in general terms or is it expected that you have a research plan before entering med school? If you are sure of what you want to do, is it based on your undergrad research experience?

I've been reading the website but I couldn't find much info on when you have to settle on a field of study, or find supervisors. The program sounds interesting but I'd be hard pressed to decide on a project at this point :P

Guest Biochem10

Hi Lactic Folly, in my McGill interview all interviewers asked me about my undergrad research experiences in detail (so know exactly the details of your previous work!). In terms of where you would want to do your PhD, you don't have to have a specific supervisor picked out, but I did describe what kind of lab I could see myself working in. For McGill I didn't have a supervisor in mind and I was honest and told the interviews that, but for U of T I've already picked a supervisor because if I don't get into the program that's where I plan on doing grad studies. (I'm going to apply for my MSc/PhD in May if I don't get accepted) Feel free to ask anything else.

Guest Lactic Folly

Thanks Biochem! That helped give me a better idea of the process.

On SDN they mentioned lab rotations before starting the PhD portion of the program.. does anyone know if this is available at Toronto or any other Canadian school?

Guest Biochem10

Lactic Folly: Most MD/PhD students do a "rotation" in a lab after the first year in medical school (in the summer). This is typically supported by a med school research bursary. This is not an official rotation, however, it does give the student to try out a lab before committing themself to the PhD portion. A student at McGill also told me that she worked in a lab part-time and attended classes during second year (sounds demanding, but can be done).

Peachy: sure, I'll tell you more about what I was asked at my interview, but McGill's interviews are not panel-style like U of T's. I had 3 interviews that were all one on one. Each interview was supposed to represent my suitability for each part of the program, MD only, MD/PhD and PhD only. Anyway, the questions in all the interviews were really similar. I was mostly asked to explain each of my research projects and why I like research. Some questions were: "Where would you see yourself in 10 years", "Why McGill instead of U of T" (man, that was a difficult one), "What extracurricular activities do you do outside of university and within the university", "Research is more or less a happy profession, why would you choose to go into medicine where people die everyday" (that was a weird question, I never thought of research being a "happy" profession) "who are your heroes?" ( i wasn't sure whether I was supposed to name doctors/scientists or other types) Anyway, that's all I can remember off the top of my head. The interview was informal and relaxed and I heard (from a McGill MD/PhD student) that U of T's panel interview is a little more stressful. I guess we'll see in a week!

Archived