Premed 101 Forums

Nosm

Hey, I was working in the lab (my summer job) and a radiologist came in to talk to me about something.. Well one thing led to another and he started talking about the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. I was wondering how this is? He said its great for the rural thing, etc. (which is what i want to do). He i guess works down there too and thinks its a great school and that they just graduated their first medical students or something?

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this school and how it is? Is it respected?

Thanks

Hey, I was working in the lab (my summer job) and a radiologist came in to talk to me about something.. Well one thing led to another and he started talking about the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. I was wondering how this is? He said its great for the rural thing, etc. (which is what i want to do). He i guess works down there too and thinks its a great school and that they just graduated their first medical students or something?

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this school and how it is? Is it respected?

Thanks

NOSM is run by Lakehead/Laurentian University. It is a new med school, and their class is smaller than all the others. They focus on rural medicine, and give a huge preference to students from rural Canada (specifically, Northern Ontario), so if you're from a city, you're chances of getting in here are pretty slim.

As for reputation, the school is very new, compared to all the other med schools in Canada, but you come out a doctor just like anywhere else, and I dont think you're at any disadvantage when looking for jobs because the point of going to this school is that you'd be working in rural and underserved areas when you graduate.

Archived