Premed 101 Forums

updates worthwhile?

Guest peachy

Is it worthwhile to contact schools to indicate that I've won some awards since my original application, d'you think? I'm applying md/phd. How would it be done?

Guest med2006McGill

You could bring it up at the interview. Sometimes the interviewers ask you if there's anything not on your application that you'd like to share with them.

Alternatively, you can contact the MD/PhD office and ask them if you could update your application. Good luck! :)

Guest Akane200

You may want to contact admissions and awards to inform them of your updated awards. It may make a difference on how they view your profile, especially in light of Md/PhD. It depends on how prestigious and important such an award actually is.

Hi Peachy...the same thing happened to me last year. I called omsas and they said that you can send any new information to them and they add it to your file and then send it to the schools. I had called in november, but it is still worth a try.

Thanks for the info, Beth. How significant did you feel your new information was? I'm still waffling as to whether I think the new info matters enough that it could change a decision, or whether it's just going to be annoying to them....

I don't think that adding new info could hurt you, but maybe it would be easiest if you just mentioned your awards in your interview. When I had called omsas they said that the information would be sent to the schools, but that there was no guarantee that they would consider it (last year I decided to just leave my application as it was). You could always call them and see what they think. I think your best bet would be to bring it up at your interview. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

fyi for anyone with the same question, I was told today that U of T meds will not let anybody add new information to their files after the original Oct 15 deadline.

Archived