Premed 101 Forums

French studies

Random question:

Would someone happen to know where you can take French studies by distance ed?

I know UW has quite a few courses by DE (certificate program) and I think Athabasca has a French major program (4-year general maybe?).

Any others?

Thank you!

Do you need it / want it for credit?

If you just want to learn french, I recommend a program call "à l'écoute de la langue française" - their website is http://www.laguinguette.com/learn/full/

I hadn't taken french classes for over a decade but after using this for a few months I was placed in an intermediate class when I started up at school again.

Do you need it / want it for credit?

If you just want to learn french, I recommend a program call "à l'écoute de la langue française" - their website is http://www.laguinguette.com/learn/full/

I hadn't taken french classes for over a decade but after using this for a few months I was placed in an intermediate class when I started up at school again.

Thanks for the link!

Eventually, if I go with my plan, I'll need about 10 courses, which is also half of a 2nd undergrad.

:)

I'm taking French right now with AU, just for fun, and I've taken German and Spanish with them, as well. Having studied my fair share of foreign languages, I have to say that SOME DE learning is ok, but if you're planning on speaking the language (as opposed to just reading/writing in it), you HAVE to take some regular classroom courses to practice speaking, have your pronunciation set properly, etc. I'd recommend alternating between DE and regular (e.g. take Beginners I via DE, Beginners II the regular route, Intermediate I DE, etc).

I'm taking French right now with AU, just for fun, and I've taken German and Spanish with them, as well. Having studied my fair share of foreign languages, I have to say that SOME DE learning is ok, but if you're planning on speaking the language (as opposed to just reading/writing in it), you HAVE to take some regular classroom courses to practice speaking, have your pronunciation set properly, etc. I'd recommend alternating between DE and regular (e.g. take Beginners I via DE, Beginners II the regular route, Intermediate I DE, etc).

Thanks, Jochi.

I was thinking the same thing, having done languages both by DE and in the classroom. For that reason, UW is an attractive option for me b/c I could do a combination of both.

How's the French class? Are you doing the intro one?

Thanks, Jochi.

I was thinking the same thing, having done languages both by DE and in the classroom. For that reason, UW is an attractive option for me b/c I could do a combination of both.

How's the French class? Are you doing the intro one?

Yeah, French 100. I studied a bit of French in HS, so I'm not learning too much new stuff yet (about 25% through the course), we'll see how it goes. I don't officially start til July 1st, so I haven't had any contact with my tutor or submitted assignments yet.

Yeah, French 100. I studied a bit of French in HS, so I'm not learning too much new stuff yet (about 25% through the course), we'll see how it goes. I don't officially start til July 1st, so I haven't had any contact with my tutor or submitted assignments yet.

Let me know how it goes :)

Archived