Premed 101 Forums

didnt really know where to post...U.S. undergrad transfer to Canada for undergrad?

So i'm from the U.S. and am already attending a uni here. I am interested in going to med school in the U.S. I want to transfer to mcgill or u toronto as a junior. basically i didnt do too well in high school and ended up with a 2.5 ish gpa:(. I thought I would rectify myslef and went to college with high hopes but, infortuantley my first semester ended HORRIBLY...2.3 gpa :( . My second semester, though better was only a 3.0 :(. Even if i get a 4.0 next sem, my total gpa would only be a 3.2 by the time i apply :(.

If i want to do med school in the U.S. does it make sense for me to transfer to a Canadian school for undergrad (I am a citizen)?

So i'm wondering...would I have a shot at either mcgill or u of t with a 3.2?

would they look at my high school record?

do they have essays, LOR's, and look at ec's, or is the application basically the transcript and the course description?

I dunno if you can transfer with that GPA. I considered transferring to Columbia or Cornell in my 2nd year undergrad, and Cornell expected a minimum 3.5 and Columbia said 3.7, for example. Now, these are Ivy schools, so they might have higher standards than a Canadian school that doesn't have the same international reputation; but be aware that transferring requires you to have at least somewhat decent grades. Look into that first to see if it's even possible for you to transfer.

If i do choose to apply (I understand my chances are slim to none), what does the application consist of? is it just the transcript or do they also require LOR's, essays, and look at EC's?

Are you talking about MD or UG?

Archived