Premed 101 Forums

Study for VR?

Predent2301

Hey I've been doing some practice tests for the VR section, but once I finish and check my score I dont seem to get a lot out of going back and looking at the right answers (for all the questions I got wrong).

Does anyone else feel like they are not getting anyting out of going back and looking at the correct answers? I feel like im wasting my time since each question is specific for that passage and I wont face that passage again in the future.

What is the best way to study after taking a VR test?

Predent 2301....I feel thesame way about VR practice. Im trying EK Verbal and I keep getting 8 consistently even though I read explanations for answers after every test.

Also, EK Verbal's passages are much more engaging than the real MCAT passage.....But even that doesnt seem to help my score...sigh..:(

I did my first write last year and got 8 on the VR. Obviously that sucks, so I did 2 hard core english courses (partly to satisfy US requirements too) and rewrote again this year. My VR score jumped to 12, and my writing score went from Q to R. Other than the english courses the only thing I did different for prep is a few more VR passages. I also never took a prep course. So if you really want to improve, english courses are the best way. :)

I did my first write last year and got 8 on the VR. Obviously that sucks, so I did 2 hard core english courses (partly to satisfy US requirements too) and rewrote again this year. My VR score jumped to 12, and my writing score went from Q to R. Other than the english courses the only thing I did different for prep is a few more VR passages. I also never took a prep course. So if you really want to improve, english courses are the best way. :)

similar to the English courses I found critical reasoning philosophy courses were really good practice for me. Didn't take them from the V.R. but I did notice improvements afterward.

Hahaha! Awesome!

What are "hard core" English courses?

Hey I've been doing some practice tests for the VR section, but once I finish and check my score I dont seem to get a lot out of going back and looking at the right answers (for all the questions I got wrong).

Does anyone else feel like they are not getting anyting out of going back and looking at the correct answers? I feel like im wasting my time since each question is specific for that passage and I wont face that passage again in the future.

What is the best way to study after taking a VR test?

I've been using EK and I'm pretty sure that at some point in the verbal book, it suggests that analyzing why you got a particular question wrong is a waste of time. Rather they suggest to go back to the passage and write out a 1-2 sentence main idea. And practice, practice, practice.

I've been practicing and I glance at the answers to gauge if I missed something simple and could have gotten a particular question right. I am going to start going back to write out the main idea and see if that improves my score. I've done 5 of the 13 VR 101 passages and my scores have been consistent, but I'm want to see if they can improve.

Good luck!

Archived