Premed 101 Forums

Scared/lost hope of the MCAT

Adventurous09

Hi!

For the past couple of years I have written the MCAT multiple times and have succeeded in all but one section of the MCAT (VR) now as I try again to study for it I cannot seem to get over my fear for the MCAT and sit down and study on the main part that is hurting me the most. I go around it and I dont really study it. I think I should just give up but then I get this feeling that after all the things I've overcame I dont want VR to be the thing standing in my way. I need some help/advice on how to overcome this obstacle (or mental block) and not have this fear of VR. I am asking anyone who use to be in my situation to tell me how they kept their motivation running despite the many MANY road blocks that kept on coming their way?

Thanks

Hi Alastriss, not sure what this post means .... could you elaborate?

I'm not Alastriss, but he means for you to check your private messages (which you'll see right at the top of the pg).

He then goes on to lament the 10 character limit, lol..:P

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!

For the past couple of years I have written the MCAT multiple times and have succeeded in all but one section of the MCAT (VR) now as I try again to study for it I cannot seem to get over my fear for the MCAT and sit down and study on the main part that is hurting me the most. I go around it and I dont really study it. I think I should just give up but then I get this feeling that after all the things I've overcame I dont want VR to be the thing standing in my way. I need some help/advice on how to overcome this obstacle (or mental block) and not have this fear of VR. I am asking anyone who use to be in my situation to tell me how they kept their motivation running despite the many MANY road blocks that kept on coming their way?

Thanks

3 MCATS: first VR 5, second VR 7, third VR 11. reason: if you want it enough you just gotta go for it. just push through. you can do it. you really really can. i had a hard time studying with working full time/ other obligations, just pushed and pushed and now im starting med in the fall. just go for it. tell yourself you will do it and you will.

3 MCATS: first VR 5, second VR 7, third VR 11. reason: if you want it enough you just gotta go for it. just push through. you can do it. you really really can. i had a hard time studying with working full time/ other obligations, just pushed and pushed and now im starting med in the fall. just go for it. tell yourself you will do it and you will.

Well said! And, congrats :)

Congrats!!! Your an inspiration that it may actually be possible to prevail! :)

That being said, a willingness to improve and a "can-do" attitude isn't always enough. You need to seriously sit down and reflect on what is that's holding you back. For different people that could be different things, but at least do it, I really don't think just telling yourself you will do it is enough, some strategic thought and planning is required as well. At least that's what helped me improve in all sections second time around, and go from VR 10 to VR 13.

That being said, a willingness to improve and a "can-do" attitude isn't always enough. You need to seriously sit down and reflect on what is that's holding you back. For different people that could be different things, but at least do it, I really don't think just telling yourself you will do it is enough, some strategic thought and planning is required as well. At least that's what helped me improve in all sections second time around, and go from VR 10 to VR 13.

Yeah, the first is getting rid of the mental roadblock, but I agree with AdamP you certainly have to put effort into it beyond that. VR 10 to VR 13 impressive...good job AdamP!!!

really it was a perspective change second time around, less stressed, more focused on preforming well on test day than worrying about the days spent studying, I got to write near my house which made me feel a lot less tired.

that or it could have been a huge fluke (i tend to think scores above 12 are basically flukes since we're talking about 1-2 questions at that point, while I should rephrase, you can earn a 12 but 13-15 is some lucky guessing)

this thread may have some more tips

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33164&page=6&highlight=retakers

Archived