Premed 101 Forums

Do I stand a chance

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi everybody. I am a "social science" student nearing a 3.8 GPA (at least I hope so after upcoming exams). I am at U of T now and finishing this year. So, I know the bare minimum at U of T for admission prereqs is two life sciences. Aside from a tonne of environmental science courses, I will ONLY have psychology and anatomy as my two "life science" prereqs (and Biology w/o lab). Is this typically acceptable for U of T admission? Do many non-science students apply to U of T? I have tonnes of extra-currics etc but have also not taken MCAT until next year. Also what is the MCAT cut off? Any advice would be great.

Guest cheech10

You definitely stand a chance. The first step for UofT is to meet the MCAT cutoffs of 9,9,9 something for the essay (exact requirements should be on the website). Next, to get an interview, you need to score highly on a 60% academic 40% non-academic scale. Your GPA is slightly below that of the entering class (which is usually 3.84 to 3.85), but there are many students with lower GPAs that are also accepted. Once you have an interview, the opportunity is yours to show them what kind of applicant you are, and my personal belief is that the interview is the major factor in determining admission (despite previous sources showing a 60/20/20 weighting for your final evaluation). Oh, and there are many non-science students in my class, so don't be discouraged.

Isn't the 3.84 to 3.85 GPA of the entering class based on the weighted GPA? In which case, if you've taken a full courseload each year, and have a couple bad grades pulling you down, you're probably above the average.

Archived