Premed 101 Forums

I need advice!

Okay guys, so I am from London Ontario, and Schulich school of dentistry looks at your 2 years with the highest marks, so I thought it was true for all dentistry schools. My Gpa is is follows

1st year 2.34

2nd year 2.98

3rd year 3.66

4th year 3.77

so I wanted to apply to US dentistry schools, and I realized they look at all 4 years of your undergraduate years. SO am I screwed? should I not even apply, like are there any US universities, that look at your best 3 years? Should take a special 5th year?

I need help! :confused:

Personally I would recommend a masters program, even with a 5th year of a 3.8 your GPA is still on the low side for the US, unless you are an American Citizen?

Another important point is that with a 5th year, they would still only look at years 1-4, since they start applications and acceptances very early. So you would have to be accepted in your 6th year for them to consider your 5th.

Some schools give you bonus points for your phd or masters program

You need to consider what schools you want and find out if they do give points for your masters and phd

You also might want to look at US schools as they require relatively lower GPA compared to Canadian schools

Personally I would recommend a masters program, even with a 5th year of a 3.8 your GPA is still on the low side for the US, unless you are an American Citizen?

Another important point is that with a 5th year, they would still only look at years 1-4, since they start applications and acceptances very early. So you would have to be accepted in your 6th year for them to consider your 5th.

so what do you think is the minimum GPA a canadian student would have to have in order to get accepted into an American school?

Hey!

Regarding the 5th year, I really do not know, I guess the 5th year would help increase your undergrad GPA and if you really kill your masters that would be great.

As for what I think you need for american schools, well the average cGPA for americans is roughly 3.5 for admittance, but for a Canadian, I would say around a 3.6-3.7 with great DAT and EC's. If you check http://www.predents.com you can use the search feature and search for international students at different Dental schools and you will see many with GPA of 3.5 and DAT of 19/20 getting rejected, which is why I feel you need to have a little better then average.

Archived